Lewmar Portal screens

Oct 22, 2007
Catalina 310 Keuka Lake NY
Just bought a 2003 310. Is there a secret to putting in the plastic window screens? Cant seem to make them stay on

Jun 4, 2009
Catalina 309 Swantown Marina Olympia, WA
They are a pain in the butt. Lewmar has come out with a new version that is supposed to be easier to install and will stay in place. I have lost 2 of my old ones over the side when they came off so I will be ordering the new style. I'll let you know if they work when I get them.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
The new ones (which you may have, as the old ones tend to wind up in Davey Jones' Locker) install from the _outside_.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Sounds like more junk from Lewmar

The new ones (which you may have, as the old ones tend to wind up in Davey Jones' Locker) install from the _outside_.

You would think someone could come up with something a little better as these are pieces of crap. And considering they are $17 a piece they should be better. :naughty:

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Ted, Welcome aboard and congratulations on your 310 Purchase, We have owned ours for 3 seasons and find she gets better all the time. We are pleased that you bought the 310 and sail her on Keuka Lake! We grew up in Rochester and still have relatives there so we are familiar with the area. Please, If you have not done so, register your boat and join the 310 association. Fair Winds, and Oh btw our screens still sit unused!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The new ones:

The screen sits outside everything. You have to hold in place from the inside as you install.
Do one clip/bar at a time.
Make sure the top clip is over the METAL frame, not the gasket.
Slide the bottom slider UP
Pull very slightly on the vertical bar, bending it like a bow.
Slide the slider down to grab the bottom metal frame.

You'll be surprised how easy it goes on, and often it is on and you don't know it.

The port can close with the screen in place.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
The new ones: The screen sits outside everything. You have to hold in place from the inside as you install. Do one clip/bar at a time. Make sure the top clip is over the METAL frame, not the gasket. Slide the bottom slider UP Pull very slightly on the vertical bar, bending it like a bow. Slide the slider down to grab the bottom metal frame. You'll be surprised how easy it goes on, and often it is on and you don't know it. The port can close with the screen in place.
Clips? Where did you get them? I have 3 of the 4 original plastic jobs

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
I ordered mine from Catalina Direct. The cost was $36.95 each and for our C-310 we use size 1RE

Only issue I have had is that Lewmar had an early design defect (I'm told is fixed) there the little sliding clip would break (the plastic rivet holding the clip in would break)

Catalina Direct was great about sending me replacements at no cost, when I sent them photos of the failed unit. Otherwise these are so much better, they seal the port better with the flexible lip, and they do not pop out when you brush against them when walking on deck.

Great improvement.

Russ
S/V Long Story

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
. You'll be surprised how easy it goes on, and often it is on and you don't know it. The port can close with the screen in place.
Keep in mind that the port should close easy....if it is real tight when you close it (and it will still close) you may get some leaking if it rains......experience wit that!

It took 5 seasons with this boat before we figured out how they work!