Lewmar Main Sail Car

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
Quick question for the group - I have the original Lewmar car for my self-furling main where the rubber support under the pulley has disintegrated. As it doesn’t appear to be a part that I can replace I was wondering what the community thinks about continuing to use as is or potentially replacing the car. Looking at Catalina Direct it’s a $600 item that includes a new track. Lewmar doesn’t appear to have a car that has a front buckle for securing the line, so not sure on replacement from them. Attached is a photo of the car. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Quick question for the group - I have the original Lewmar car for my self-furling main where the rubber support under the pulley has disintegrated. As it doesn’t appear to be a part that I can replace I was wondering what the community thinks about continuing to use as is or potentially replacing the car. Looking at Catalina Direct it’s a $600 item that includes a new track. Lewmar doesn’t appear to have a car that has a front buckle for securing the line, so not sure on replacement from them. Attached is a photo of the car. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Does the car work ok with the rubber under the block deteriorated? Is the block serviceable? It looks like the rubber works to hold the block up when there is no tension on it. If a flopping block isn't a problem, it might not be worth replacing the whole car. A lot of boats have springs under the mainsail sheet blocks to keep them from flopping. Maybe something like that could be retrofitted to your block.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
We do not have anything under the block over the last 20 years and it works just fine. As was stated before you could add a spring under the block but I don't think its required. When the sail is in the mast you still need tension on the block so even then it will not flop around.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+2 on just get a spring at WEST or such. There are Schaeffers and other mfg's that have about the same block I have a car # 704-83 that looks like a schaeffer, but theree is no name. In a previous West catalog, item number 504-82 is about the same as my 704-83.