Lewmar Hatches With Solar Ventialtors

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The new boat has solar-power ventilators in the deck hatches. We don't care for them, and prefer just plain glass (meaning Lexan or acrylic, or whatever it is). They are Lewmar "medium profile" hatches, I think. This may have been a factory, or even a Lewmar option.

Does anyone have a recommendation, or any ideas on this? Re-glaze the hatches? I would even swap with someone if that was an option.

Thanks,

jv

(And, why is this stupid thing rotating my images???)

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Reglaze the hatch. Hatchmasters can do it for you (for money). You just take the hatch off, send it to them over the Winter, they return it and you put it back on.

Or you can go into the glazing business. Or you can probably have the work done by a local yard or marine plastic group. (THEY might ship it Hatch Masters, and just charge you for it. ;^))) ).

https://hatchmasters.com/

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Was the boat owned before and if so they may have added it or maybe advertise them willing to swap and could put offer on this forum for sale.
Nick

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Hatchmasters looks like the way to go! There are four deck hatches total, the other two being smaller. I asked for a quote to reglaze all four.
Thanks,
jv

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Another source I recall is Select Plastics, even somewhere near your State if not within it.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Another source I recall is Select Plastics, even somewhere near your State if not within it.
Thanks, Stu - same company, and they are in Norwalk, CT, which is about two hours from me.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Follow up, for those who are interesed:

I got a quote from Hatchmasters. I also found out that these are Lewmar Ocean hatches, which are still in production. Defender sells the replacement lids for these CHEAPER than Hatchmasters wants to reglaze them! So, you get brand-new lids, with new gaskets and new latch/handle assemblies, and only pay shipping in one direction. Mine are size 60 and size 40. Hatchmasters estimates: $439 and $347, Defender new lids: $425 and $324.

New lids is the way to go!

jv

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just for grins try contacting sales at Lewmar. At the Annapolis show I got a great deal from them shipped direct to my home on a Lewmar 70 hatch. Might be worth an exploratory call.

@Dave Groshong told me they handle Lewmar stuff here on SBO. Might be a resource.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It cost me $150 in prep solvent, primer and Sika adhesive/sealant alone for three hatches. I can see why it would be sho expensive for some else to do it.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I found Hatchmasters way too costly, and bought new lewmar hatches from Defender.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I found Hatchmasters way too costly, and bought new lewmar hatches from Defender.
Same here. I installed them yesterday. Took about 15 minutes each. Toughest parts were getting the hinge pins started out, and fitting the fiber washers when putting the new hatches on. But not that tough, really. Just don't lose those washers!

For less than the cost of Hatchmasters you get completely new lids with new gaskets and latches (handles), and zero down time, i.e., no plastic taped over your hatches waiting for your re-glaze lids.

I might even be able to sell the hatches with the 4" holes in the lenses, or the ventilators (for parts), or both!

Last edited: