Lewmar folding wheel.

Feb 8, 2017
Hunter 40.5 Browns Point
Looking at replacing the original 42 inch wheel on my Hunter 40.5. Was looking at the Lewmar 42 inch folding wheel, any thoughts?

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I wish we could afford one. They seem well made and worth while if you have one wheel in an older style cockpit.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
get it! we put one on Escape when they first came out - works well, really opens up the cockpit

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Looking at replacing the original 42 inch wheel on my Hunter 40.5. Was looking at the Lewmar 42 inch folding wheel, any thoughts?
Did it last year. Should have done it 20 years ago.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I just take off the 42" wheel on my boat and put it on the deck next to the cockpit, between the lifelines and bimini support, and lash it for good measure. I think it leaves more room to walk around the binnacle than a folding wheel would.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Our Sapphire was equipped with a Lewmar folding wheel when we purchased her so I am uncertain how long it has been on but I suspect the boat was delivered with it on in 2007. It does open up the room allowing easy passing of the binnacle but here are a couple of thoughts, first being as old as it is it could use a new wrap, well they make them but I suspect that the same thing will happen with a new one as with the old, it become loose as there are breaks in the wrap at the (4) hinge points. The second comment is the plastic threaded couplings which secure the wheel when extended constantly need to be tightened while underway, not a huge deal but one that I thought I would mention, it is an annoyance.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
This would be opportunity to upsize your steering wheel. I upsize mine by 4" when I changed it to Lewmar Folding Wheel >10years ago. More room to walk pass helm station with wheel folded. No regret whatsoever.

Ken Y