Lewmar folding wheel problem - Solved!

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
The tension balls the hold the wheel together when folded have lost their elasticity and I don't see replacements available anywhere. I took one off thinking I would replace the elastic, but it terminates in the ball and I don't believe the ball comes apart. Anyone have a solution.

Attachments

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Attach new bungee to a wooden toggle like those used for stringing signal flags. Maybe put an eye loop at one end of the bungee. Also, try those shock-cord balls used on sailing dinghies. (AKA rope-stopper balls.) Come in a few colors, including black, I believe. The holes are wide enough to put through the two ends of the shock cord, then hog-ring ‘em together; recesses back into the ball.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The tension balls the hold the wheel together when folded have lost their elasticity and I don't see replacements available anywhere. I took one off thinking I would replace the elastic, but it terminates in the ball and I don't believe the ball comes apart. Anyone have a solution.
I have a Lewmar folding wheel and the elastic cords wore out long ago. So I had a custom cover made for the wheel with padding at the location of the folded joints, which I found to be a hazard in the cockpit. The cover eliminates the possibility of injury on the points and eliminates the need for the cords. Looks ship shape too.

May 6, 2010
I emailed Lewmar and after a few back and forth emails explaining what I was looking for, learned they do not offer this offer this as a replacement part, only the complete locking handle for $37.00 each. Having nothing to lose, I tried smacking one of the plastic balls against the countertop and found that they are glued together, and come apart when smacked hard enough. I can now replace the elastic shock cord and keep my reputation as a cheap sailor intact. All of the aftermarket line stopper balls I was able to locate were of different diameters and would not nest as nicely into the handles.

Attachments

• Helpful

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You said "... tension balls the hold the wheel together when folded..." I wondered what those are. But, I don't understand why they are necessary. Can you explain? Nice job with the fix.

May 6, 2010
You said "... tension balls the hold the wheel together when folded..." I wondered what those are. But, I don't understand why they are necessary. Can you explain? Nice job with the fix.
There is a ball on an elastic shock cord loop on each side of the wheel. When folded they are meant to be interlocked in order to keep the wings of the wheel folded to the center, if that makes sense.

Dec 7, 2020
Hunter Hunter 38 Genova
I have a Lewmar folding wheel and the elastic cords wore out long ago. So I had a custom cover made for the wheel with padding at the location of the folded joints, which I found to be a hazard in the cockpit. The cover eliminates the possibility of injury on the points and eliminates the need for the cords. Looks ship shape too.
Hello there could you post some picture of the custom cover with padding ?
Thank you

Nov 23, 2015
Hunter 33 Coconut Grove
My 2005 Hunter 33 has a folding Lewmar wheel and no cord with ball. The online Lewmar manual does not discuss these. Does anyone know what size ball, what size bungee and how exactly it inserts into the handle? I can‘t see how a cord is inserted. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The post is 3 years old. Looking at the image of the balls in his hand, it looks like he was using a bungee loop with a small ball at the end to holed the two halves together. I sense it was an on the boat sailor solution not a manufacturers design.
Something like this.

1676288234113.jpeg

Nov 23, 2015
Hunter 33 Coconut Grove
The post is 3 years old. Looking at the image of the balls in his hand, it looks like he was using a bungee loop with a small ball at the end to holed the two halves together. I sense it was an on the boat sailor solution not a manufacturers design.
Something like this.

View attachment 212956
Thanks I did see this loop/bungee in the discussions however these are apparently long gone from my Lewmar folding wheel handles and I cannot see how i they would be installed. I see the round indented area on each handle where the ball is designed to sit but the handle does not have screws to open it up and I see no way to insert the bungee. There are 2 openings in the end of the handle opposite the ball indentation where clearly the bungee is meant to go. I can’t find a picture of how these are installed and the Lewmar manual and website have no information or drawings. Any suggestions, photos/videos as to proper setup would be welcome!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Thanks I did see this loop/bungee in the discussions however these are apparently long gone from my Lewmar folding wheel handles and I cannot see how i they would be installed. I see the round indented area on each handle where the ball is designed to sit but the handle does not have screws to open it up and I see no way to insert the bungee. There are 2 openings in the end of the handle opposite the ball indentation where clearly the bungee is meant to go. I can’t find a picture of how these are installed and the Lewmar manual and website have no information or drawings. Any suggestions, photos/videos as to proper setup would be welcome!

There are screws in the grey "Lewmar" grips that tighten onto the screw thread side. Take those out and the elastic is held inside.