Lets talk ladders--(folding, telescopic or neither)

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I might be installing a ladder on my O'Day DS1 and would also like to replace the stock one on my O'Day 26'. I found this website called Bonanza where this guy sells what looks to be absolutely gorgeous ladders for boats and they look very well made. I just thought I would ask if others have replaced their ladders and if so, what brand and what style....I know it depends on the angle of the transom but would love some ideas.

Link to what I found online (if you search this persons site you will see the several different types he has for boats)---

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Mar...-Ladders-Stern-Mount-W-Rubber-Grips/428601884

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Pac...inless-Steel-304-Telescoping-Ladder/434099334

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I believe ALL boats need to have a viable way to get back onboard. whether or not the water is warm enough that you will ever purposley swim from the boat or not, the colder the water, the more necessary will be the need to get out of it in a hurry if a situation develops....and if you do commonly swim from the boat, the more necessary is the need for a stout, easy to use ladder...

I have a ladder similar to the folding ladder shown, on our 25, and had the same on our 21... I like it and think its the best way to go, short of having a boat large enough to have a fixed ladder. its very solid even with my 210lb frame on it in rough windy conditions.... (the ladder is long enough that in warm weather and waters, some of the crew will sometimes take a dip on the ladder while underway to cool down)..

personally, I would not waste my time with the telescopic ladder, as I have had too much experience with them on power boats, where in some cases they can be a more aesthetic installation on a sleek boat... some sailboats are sleek, but ive never seen one sleek enough that a folding ladder on the stern ruins its looks... a folding ladder is more rigid and so it is, or can be longer, it never sticks or jams as it gets older, very seldom holds water, is quickly and easily folded/stowed, and ive never heard one have a vibration rattle.... this is not true of all the telescopic ladders Ive seen... and a folding ladder can be modified if desired...

the one shown below on our 25 reaches well into the water. it is mounted on hinge brackets (which seems to be the most common mounting method for swim ladders) so the upper part can also be folded away from the hull so its easier to wash under it.... a simple bungie loop with a plastic hook permanently looped around the taffrail stanchion (not shown) holds the ladder firmly in is stowed position,

the transom of the boat has an angle, and so I didnt like to crawl up a ladder with an inverted angle, so I extended the standoff legs, which is simple and can be quickly done in a couple different ways.... then I wanted the folded ladder to fold in closer to the boat without tipping the upper hinges which would kick the stand-off legs away from the hull, so I removed the lower hinged section and tweeked it a bit so that when installed it stowed as I wanted it... and with this modification, it also allows the lower rungs of the ladder to rake rearward a bit more, and so its easy to stand on the lower rungs without feeling like your hanging upside down on the boarding ladder... all this can not be done with a ladder with only semi rigid joints in it.
2012-11-16_12-35-58_147.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
This thread may find some interface with others on the subject of falling overboard, even if at anchor, and then trying to reboard either with assistance or as a single-handed sailor. How do you get back on the boat? The Bavaria has a drop-down swimladder but it is short--the rungs do not go deep enough to step into without bringing your knees nearly to your chin. I'd practically have to redesign the transom to fix a much longer one there. And what if it's pitching badly? I've decided that the best place to board is at the mid-ship gate; for us the starboard side one. I have a single step suspended there to use when boarding from a dink. If I were in the water, however, I'd need some kind of ladder to drop down to 3 to 4 ft beneath the surface. I've been thinking of trying rope ladders. A 6-rung rope ladder left at the gate with a "pigtail" that can be reached and pulled down to deploy the ladder if you're in the water. Perhaps the rungs could have wooden or plastic steps inserted. When stowed in a bag, the thing should not take much space. Whadaya think?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Hunter 31 has a nice drop down ladder that also forms the gate in the stern rail when it is up
2014-10-05 16.49.28.jpg

It has 5 total rungs, and one step on the transom. When deployed there are 3 rungs in the water. Very easy to use and climb

2014-10-05 17.00.46.jpg

Mar 26, 2014
Macgregor 25 Kaw Lake Oklahoma
Have you ever tried using a rope ladder? Mine ended up being impossible to let me get back on board after I decided to go for a swim while single-handed. Had to wait for a passing boat to help me get back on board. Be sure it is doable.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Some boats are difficult to mount a ladder on. Our previous San Juan 28 was one. The transom was pretty thin fiberglass so I needed to provide some bumpers for the ladder to rest on. Even so it wasn't real robust, but it did hold my 225 lbs. I had to create those bumpers our if PVC with some rubber pads glued on. I can't find a photo, but it took some thought in order to make it work. I can't imagine wanting a large boat without a boarding ladder.

A previous boat made it possible to board by climbing up the outboard. The transom was too small to mount a ladder for normal use. We did have a portable ladder to hang over the side (poor method because it won't be mounted when you happen to fall in.)

One more thing. Tie a line to any folding ladder so you can pull it down from in the water. I've seen some that you wouldn't be able to deploy while in the water (like the one shown above.) A simple short line hanging down fixes that assuming the ladder isn't fastened in the up position.
Ken

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Have you ever tried using a rope ladder? Mine ended up being impossible to let me get back on board after I decided to go for a swim while single-handed. Had to wait for a passing boat to help me get back on board. Be sure it is doable.
My experience with rope ladders has been seriously bad. When you put your foot on the rung that is below water it just goes under the boat, it is not the same as climbing a rope ladder up against a wall. If you could not climb a rope look out, you may not be able to climb the rope ladder.

The ladder in the picture is a total of 32 inches from the hinge to the bottom most rung and is really not deep enough to be easy to climb. I am looking to extend it at least one more rung. I am also looking to add steps to make it much easier on the feet.

Whatever the purpose of the ladder, the more secure anyone is climbing it the safer it will be. On the most gorgeous still sunny summer day if someone slipped, one leg went through a rung, and the rest fell down the result would be a world of hurt, so the better the whole rig, including handholds the better. My experience is you are actually at most risk when you are near the top of the ladder - further to fall and most top heavy.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Rope ladders are pretty terrible. Took all I had to get back aboard with a rope ladder.

Previous owner left one of these onboard:

It's great for getting out of the dink, but useless for getting out of the water. Tried a rope ladder below it, pretty impossible. Didn't want a transom mount 'cause I didn't want to crawl between the rails and the backstay rigging is all over the place too. Had an idea one day to bolt one of the three step telescoping ladders to the bottom of this boarding ladder. It works slick as all get out. Folds up for storage, but when deployed it's super simple to get out of the water or out of the dink.

Jan 15, 2012
Ericson 28/2 Port Kent
Mystic Stainless makes a good looking boarding ladder. It can be placed amidships. Pricey.

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
I have a similar ladder, I've been looking for a product to go over the rungs, like a teak step, plasteek, plastic, rubber, ect. to make the grip better than a hard slippery stainless steel tube.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
SBO Store has some very nice ladders. The prices on the links about seems awfully low to me. I am concerned that they might not be up to standards. Just my thoughts.

added - someone on here had built their own ladder out of pvc. looked really nice, was inexpensive, but it also looked really sturdy. I don't think I can find the page again. :(

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I really like this one for my 26' and thinking of mounting it as low as I can so the bottom rung would be about 2 feet in the water--I think. I would then mount a very strong SS handle above that for a grab to get into the boat under the railing. Now I need to find one for my DS1 which has a very shallow transom so it would have to swing up on to the back somehow.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
If I've done this right, you should see two pictures of the ladder I installed on the swim step of my boat. It's a folding ladder, which I bought used, and it is easy to open from the water, or from the boat. I consider a ladder that can be opened from the water to be important safety gear.

Attachments