Lessons from a Racing Boat Destruction.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
99% of us SBO sailors will never be in the situation solo sailor Kevin Escoffier faced during his global race. You might say why even read his story. It will not happen to me. I do not sail a "special high tech boat". I do not "plan to sail in the South Atlantic southwest of Capetown". Or, I do not have a "Carbon Fiber Foiling boat that sails a 27 knots".

All of this is true. That is not the point. The issue is we sail less sophisticated boats, with lower stress ratings and rig loads, yet we still go out into Mother Nature's space. She can present conditions that will test the design and strengths built into our boats. If found wanting we may experience the same fate as Kevin.

There are reasons for the cautions shared in these forums, when asked by a newer sailor,
  • "the wires on my boat feel loose when sail, but we are really having a good time, should I be concerned",
  • "do I really need to be concerned about the chainplates? They look strong enough, only a little rust showing. "

When asked about rig tensions, the more experienced sailor will talk about a loos gauge, suggest consulting the manufacturers specifications, or consult a professional rigger rather than "Oh just snug it up a bit and go sailing".

On Day 22 of the 2020 Vendée Globe Race round-the-world, Escoffier’s foil-equipped IMOCA 60, PRB, was flying over and diving into riled up seas at a turbocharged 27 knots. The boat and skipper were in third place and surfing down steep wave faces that were spawned by an approaching frontal boundary. The steep, short-period wave faces made the descent into the troughs even more dangerous.
During one of these nosedives, PRB rooted her bow and plunged even deeper into incompressible green water. The loads on the hull skyrocketed and a loud crack spelled disaster. The hull behaved like a massive beam structure that had exceeded its structural safety factor—redlining its stress/strain curve. The carbon fiber hull laminate suffered an ultimate failure, and the hull split in two, buckling just forward of the mast. The rig came down and PRB’s bow was left pointing skyward, looking more like a half-open jackknife than an ocean racing sailboat. Seawater flooded into the hull and Escoffier had very little time to make life-or-death decisions and to implement his plan for survival.

We need to look at our boats not just a shell with a post that we stick cloth on, but as a designed system of FRP / steel wires / lines and sails that when assembled in an orderly structure hold the strength to weather the waters.

When weather events occur, we need to have looked ahead and be knowledgable about the coming events so we can judge if our boat and crew are prepared to experience the event. Should we sail on into the dark sky, batten down the hatches and hold on, or reverse course and head for the nearest safe harbor.

Are you prepared?
Do you do your own fixes or do you seek professional help?
How do you check the competencies of the boat marine worker to whom you entrust your life and the life of your crew?

• Helpful

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have always done my own work except for things like shaft & strut replacement, rig survey and repair and bottom work. FYI, I have had two rig failures on two different boats AFTER professional work. Fortunately, the rigs were not damaged and I was able to reconnect the leeward shrouds before anything serious happened. In both cases, cotter pins were missing and the pins disengaged when the leeward shroud loosened. I also found a loose shaft seal and through hull hose. Now, I am careful to inspect (what I can) after any work I have not done.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have always done my own work except for things like shaft & strut replacement, rig survey and repair and bottom work. FYI, I have had two rig failures on two different boats AFTER professional work. Fortunately, the rigs were not damaged and I was able to reconnect the leeward shrouds before anything serious happened. In both cases, cotter pins were missing and the pins disengaged when the leeward shroud loosened. I also found a loose shaft seal and through hull hose. Now, I am careful to inspect (what I can) after any work I have not done.
Good grief. I'd be more than a little irritated...

Any time one sets sail on the ocean, I feel your boat should be prepared for sailing oceans. You might not be prepped for doing a crossing but I always want to be prepared for at least several days, even if just going out for an afternoon. I'll never forget the time a buddy of mine and I set out for a four hour sail. We sailed straight off the coast for 2 hours and when we did an about face to sail back the 2 hours we were so far out it took us 10 hours to get back. One just never knows...

dj

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
... I'll never forget the time a buddy of mine and I set out for a four hour sail. We sailed straight off the coast for 2 hours and when we did an about face to sail back the 2 hours we were so far out it took us 10 hours to get back. One just never knows...
dj
I heard about a group that went out for a 3 hour tour and it lasted 3 seasons. Not sure they ever made it back.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I was about 13 when I sailed off shore with my brother, and the good friend, of my grandmother’s, Harold an accomplished sailor. He had a Thunderbird that he had built. The plan was to go for a day sail out into the ocean off Coronado beach and back into the bay. The wind was strong and the Coronado Islands were near so we reached out into the ocean. We rounded the islands and were headed back to San Diego bay. We threw out a fishing line along the way and caught a yellow fin. What more fun could we have.

As we neared North Island NAS on the beach side the wind died. We rounded the point looking into the bay entrance but could go no further. The tide had changed and instead of entering the bay we were beginning to drift back out to sea. We made it across the entrance and set anchor under the shadow of Pt Loma. No cell phones, no radio no motor. We spent the night. Rising early in the AM catching the morning breeze and the in going tide. We were docked by 11. After we tidied up the boat, we headed to the office to call in our arrival. My grandmother was anxious. She had the responsibility of looking after her grandkids. She thought she had lost us at sea. Happy to great us upon our return. Harold’s wife was not so forgiving. Seems she and my grandmother had been up all night.

You never know what might happen. Since this event my motto is to prepare for the worst but enjoy the best. You only get one go around.