Lesser Known BVI Anchorages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
We are taking friends to the BVI's (Mid-October) and would like to know of the other lesser known but very cool anchorages.

Thanks

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
We are taking friends to the BVI's (Mid-October) and would like to know of the other lesser known but very cool anchorages.

Thanks
Anywhere where there aren't any mooring balls! :)

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Why 'lesser know'?? Those places like the caves on Treasure Point at Norman Island, or Marina Cay and Trellis Bay, The Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke are places not to be missed. We have seen all these spots and would go back in a NY minute.

Anchoring out is becoming more difficult and illegal in places. All those anchors and chain do immense damage to the coral. That is the reason for the mooring balls. If you do plan on out of the way anchorages without mooring facilities you may want to check with the authorities first, those fines can be mighty stiff.

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
The BVI is the most popular sailing grounds in the world. All good anchorages have been developed. As mentioned, primarily to protect the coral from the high number of visitors.

As a result, all anchorages are well known.

Might I suggest you select a different Caribbean destination for "lesser known but cool" anchorages. The least used one I have found is the west side of Union Island. Its a long beach that is a popular day trip for the locals. The land on that side of the island has been embroiled in legal battles that has prevented any development.

Tim R.

May 27, 2004
Caliber 40 Long Range Cruiser Portland, Maine
The back side of Peter Island is a very beautiful quiet beach. We saw 3 boats anchored there last time we visited.

A lot more options if you charter the Grenadines. More challenging sailing conditions though. Lots of open water passages. But a hoot if you like this kind of sailing.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Coral or simply a $ maker for mooring balls?

I have a question about the coral that keeps getting mentioned.

When we had to anchor off the Cooper Island Beach Club, well after the mooring balls were put in place, I checked the anchor by diving on it to find a completely sand bottom. Somehow I don't think the beach at the Bitter End is coral down below. There's sand under the mooring balls at Leverick Bay. Coral heads in the smaller anchorage at Jost? Maybe in the check-in anchorage. Cane Garden Bay? It's a sand beach with a reef at the south end. Soper's Hole really full of coral? I thought coral grew on vertical surfaces, not flat bottoms.

For those who know for sure, are the mooring balls really there to protect the coral, is or was coral actually present, or is it the idea to keep reckless charterers who don't know how to anchor from breaking boats?:)

Help dispel or prove another urban myth.;)

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
I have a question about the coral that keeps getting mentioned.

When we had to anchor off the Cooper Island Beach Club, well after the mooring balls were put in place, I checked the anchor by diving on it to find a completely sand bottom. Somehow I don't think the beach at the Bitter End is coral down below. There's sand under the mooring balls at Leverick Bay. Coral heads in the smaller anchorage at Jost? Maybe in the check-in anchorage. Cane Garden Bay? It's a sand beach with a reef at the south end. Soper's Hole really full of coral? I thought coral grew on vertical surfaces, not flat bottoms.

For those who know for sure, are the mooring balls really there to protect the coral, is or was coral actually present, or is it the idea to keep reckless charterers who don't know how to anchor from breaking boats?:)

Help dispel or prove another urban myth.;)
Most of the overnight moorings are in sand. Check out all the major anchoring spots - sand, sand, sand. Trellis Bay, Cooper Island, North Sound, Marina Cay, Little Harbour, sand. They were not put in to protect the coral. They are a money-making proposition and quite popular with charterers, many of whom have very little experience anchoring. Also it gets quite crowded in the BVI and you can get a lot more boats in a mooring field as opposed to anchored boats.

Aug 21, 2009
2 Powersailer Wilmington, CA

Thanks
Great Harbour; Jost Van Dyke. Sailors here can and will share with you all of the other great anchorages in the BVIs'.

JeffM

May 25, 2004
Catalina 36 Lake Perry KS
Most of the overnight moorings are in sand. Check out all the major anchoring spots - sand, sand, sand. Trellis Bay, Cooper Island, North Sound, Marina Cay, Little Harbour, sand. They were not put in to protect the coral. They are a money-making proposition and quite popular with charterers, many of whom have very little experience anchoring. Also it gets quite crowded in the BVI and you can get a lot more boats in a mooring field as opposed to anchored boats.
I think Rick nailed it. It's about low common denominators for the charter company ... no need to restrict charterers to those with experience, and a big money maker (the revenue is split with whoever collects the fees). Notice that the captained boats are often not at the crazy busy spots. It's called local knowledge.

It you have some experience and the charter company trusts you, then they will volunteer some locations and keep you out of restricted areas. You get in early enough to be able see the bottom clearly and avoid the coral heads. It's your obligation to find sandy places where your anchor and rode will not damage the coral. Some of the undeveloped spots require some knowledge and thought about wind direction or you may have a rough night. The popular spots are all very sheltered.

PKFK

Jul 12, 2004
Hunter 36 Ottawa
Re: Thanks Dave

I will second the thumbs up for bvipirate.com

The chart that they sell for Anegada is excellent as well, and the owner (who lives part of the year on Anagada, and part in Texas) is very good to deal with. If you are planning a trip to Anegada and want to do it stress-free - they I can highly recommend purchasing a copy of his chart.

Paul

Sep 25, 2008

Thanks
Point your bow to Lee Bay on the west side of Great Camanoe. When we anchored there it was quiet and we had the place to ourselves. The only visitors we had were a couple goats on the rocky shore.

Steve

May 30, 2009
2 27_75-84 Lake Charles, LA
We recently chartered in the BVI & USVI. While in the USVI we decided to go into a deserted cove for one night of complete privacy. We were only there a few minutes before we discovered why it was deserted. Everytime a ferry or supply boat went by, we were exposed to 3 foot swells. It was a beautiful cove but we were moored near other boats in a different location before settling in for the night.

Jun 10, 2004
Hunter 420 Punta Gorda, Fl

Thanks
We have been to the BVI 8 different times, starting in 1985. By far the best anchorage is in Brewers Bay on the NW corner of Tortola. There are reefs coming into the anchorage, so you must read the water. Not very difficult. Feel your way into the SE corner of the bay and anchor in sand.

Except for the first time we went in 1985, this bay has been off limits to charter boats. However, just like sex, once you are in this bay, it's impossible not to do it again, and again and again. As a result, except for one time, we were the only boat there. Never had a problem and often we would stay for 3 or 4 days at a time. The beach is gorgous and almost deserted (at least it was last time we were there about 13 years ago) .

Good luck and injoy.

Mike Busher mjbusher@aol.com

Jul 9, 2009
Beneteau 352 Winthrop Harbor
Point your bow to Lee Bay on the west side of Great Camanoe. When we anchored there it was quiet and we had the place to ourselves. The only visitors we had were a couple goats on the rocky shore.

Steve
Agree with Steve. But have to push up to about 10 feet of depth to get the sand for anchoring. And then the next morning, right over to Monkey Point for snorkeling. But shhh, don't tell anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.