Les and John’s 2019 EXTREME Winter Cruise

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Day 0
The beginning.
FDBC82EF-B991-4D2B-8D1A-154D3020FDD1.jpeg
Temps in the high teens and a wee bit of snow greeted us as we started provisioning for our 2019 Winter Cruise. Boat is ready - Mahalo @LeslieTroyer ’s Catalina 36. Fuel and water was done Sunday before the deep freeze. The AIS is up and running if you are interested in following the boat.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=367724290

The trip will be 307NM from Everett to Vancouver BC, where we pick up crew member @Ward H and check out the Canadian Boat Show. Then across Georgia Strait to the Gulf Islands and visits with a couple more SBO sailors as we cruise back south towards Seattle.

We will keep you informed along the way.

Now if we can just get the ice breaker to clear us a path out of the harbor.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Day 0
The beginning.
View attachment 160977
Temps in the high teens and a wee bit of snow greeted us as we started provisioning for our 2019 Winter Cruise. Boat is ready - Mahalo @LeslieTroyer ’s Catalina 36. Fuel and water was done Sunday before the deep freeze. The AIS is up and running if you are interested in following the boat.
https://www.vesselfinder.com/?mmsi=367724290

The trip will be 307NM from Everett to Vancouver BC, where we pick up crew member @Ward H and check out the Canadian Boat Show. Then across Georgia Strait to the Gulf Islands and visits with a couple more SBO sailors as we cruise back south towards Seattle.

We will keep you informed along the way.

Now if we can just get the ice breaker to clear us a path out of the harbor.
Wish I were going on a winter cruise this week!! No snow here but a lot of rain, lately. Vancouver is lovely.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Temps in the high teens
Brrr. Too cold for any water time here. Freeze your gonads off. Hopefully, it will moderate some for your epic winter cruise. Have you found that ice breaker yet?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
have fun boys! be safe!
:plus:
And don't forget to stay hydrated:beer:.
Thanks for inviting us all along. Happy to follow your trip. I have come to expect great food on any trip Les is part of. I'll just have to use my imagination to help take a seat at your mess table. I'm not short on that.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
I can't imagine sailing in that kind of weather! It gets down to the 50s down here and we'll cancel a weekend of sailing, you guys are hardcore! Stay safe, y'all!

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I can't imagine sailing in that kind of weather! It gets down to the 50s down here and we'll cancel a weekend of sailing, you guys are hardcore! Stay safe, y'all!
That is why we all have heat. I installed hydronic heating on my C30 and now I can be comfortable at any temp. I also have a doger with side curtains and a rear closure. It only encloses the forward 3' of the cockpit but I can leave the companionway doors open and the cabin heater keeps that area warm. I steer with the AP remote and only need to reach out to adjust the sails. :dancing:

Oct 22, 2014
Update.
We eased out of the Marina slipping through slushy water to get free.
AIS recorded
MAHALO departed from
Port EVERETT
at 2019-02-05 14:55 Local Time (2019-02-05 22:55 UTC)

We decided to get ahead of the next snow storm.

Right now we can see the entrance to Oak Harbor. Arranged a reciprocal moorage. Chart plotter say we will get into Oak Harbor about 6:30pm.
We’ve only just begun.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Thanks for sharing! I'll be watching your progress this week while I'm "working".

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
While you are in Oak Harbor, you can check out my boat to make sure it hasn't sunk. That way I will not need to brave the snow. Your autopilot is obviously doing a great job of steering. That is a very straight course.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just a little warmer and more comfortable in front of the fire with a glass of wine though.
Just a wuss here, too, Michael. Nothing like coming into a marina at o dark 30, eh? I can see up Saratoga from our kitchen window, but alas was never able to spot them.

Oct 22, 2014
Oh my.. We were the only boat in the passage. Maybe the snow contributed to confusion.

It was a glorious day. Sunset over the Olympics was pretty. Stars came out quickly in the cold clear night sky..