Leroy Somer Windlass

Feb 24, 2022
Beneteau 42s7 Westernport Melbourne
Hey there,
When we purchased our yacht, the agent demonstrated the windlass, but I have since forgotten how to lower the chain? The single button currently raises (which id prefer if only option of course), but how do you select direction? I have no idea what model, but it’s on our Bene first 42s7. Thanks in advance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Well congrats on your new acquisition. I’m guessing your boat did not come with a manual for the windlass.

A picture of your windlass might help us guess the model and then locate a manual to solve your issue.

You may find the windlass Id number on the windlass motor. That could also help.

If it’s better to just experiment, you might try releasing the windlass lock that holds the gypsy and chain. This would allow the free fall of the chain. Uncontrolled but the anchor drops.

Feb 24, 2022
Well congrats on your new acquisition. I’m guessing your boat did not come with a manual for the windlass.

A picture of your windlass might help us guess the model and then locate a manual to solve your issue.

You may find the windlass Id number on the windlass motor. That could also help.

If it’s better to just experiment, you might try releasing the windlass lock that holds the gypsy and chain. This would allow the free fall of the chain. Uncontrolled but the anchor drops.
Thanks for that. I am aware of the free fall option. I’ll look next time for a model/serial#
See photo attached…

Attachments

Feb 24, 2022
The windlass is a blast from the past. Popular in the 90’s now no longer made. Parts are scarce.
Found this graphic in a discussion about the windlass. It shows what some owners have used to replace a unit.
View attachment 222568
Here is a repair video that may help

you may find an answer in this list of manuals.
Thanks, the thing works, it just has one button so I don’t know how to reverse the direction!
Have seen the post and link, b it can’t access the manual. Previous owner was good with paperwork, so perhaps manual is onboard. Just thought someone would remember who has same era (1990-2000).

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
BJ, most motors have one common lug and 2 positive lugs. Placing positive voltage on each of the positive lug separately will make the motor turn the opposite way. On my C36 I had only retrieve button. I added a second button that applies voltage on the opposite lug. This reverses the direction of the motor. And I used 2 80AMP 12v relays so I can roll the motor remotely from the cockpit with wired switches. You may be able to do the same. Visit Sail La Vie | 1999 Catalina 36 MK II for content and images.

Jul 30, 2018
Beneteau 321 Tawas MI
Do you have the contact info of the previous owner? A short call would probably lead to an answer.

Feb 24, 2022
BJ, most motors have one common lug and 2 positive lugs. Placing positive voltage on each of the positive lug separately will make the motor turn the opposite way. On my C36 I had only retrieve button. I added a second button that applies voltage on the opposite lug. This reverses the direction of the motor. And I used 2 80AMP 12v relays so I can roll the motor remotely from the cockpit with wired switches. You may be able to do the same. Visit Sail La Vie | 1999 Catalina 36 MK II for content and images.
Thanks Joe, I am aware of that setup having worked with chain motors. I check it out! I just wondered if there was an easy way, like engaging the reverse mechanically or something, as the agent had demonstrated using the bar (handle), but don’t recall what the reasoning was for!
Perhaps it is a simple retrieval version only!

Feb 24, 2022
Do you have the contact info of the previous owner? A short call would probably lead to an answer.
Sadly the immediate owner passed away, but I have the original owner. Good point! Cheers