Lengthening a C22

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Randy Kolb

I searched the archives but could find no information about this topic. My wife and I plan to do some cruising in the San Juan Islands this summer. The C22 is a fine boat but we'd like a bit more room. We considered selling our boat and buying a C25 but we have done many improvements on the Nauti Duck and we'd hate to sell it. Has anyone ever tried to lengthen a C22 by a few feet? We thought we could buy an old C22 and use three feet of its mid-hull to "splice" into our C22. Sort of the way they build stretch limos. We have a fixed keel which should make the adaptation easier than with a swing keel. Any suggestions for how we might go about this? Any pictures of similar projects? Thanks! Randy

C

Chris Burti

Funny...But!

The fella that taught me to sail took his 24' homebuilt, wooden, centerboarder, gaff rigged sloop and cut her in two in his back yard in order to stretch her to 36'! That was over thirty years ago. Moku Maki is still around and plying the waters around St. Pete, FL. If you see her...wave!

T

Trevor - SailboatOwners.com

Serious or humor?

Hi Randy - I think it's safe to say that if indeed you are seriously considering lengthening your 22, it's not even remotely a good idea, either economically, or feasibly. Take your BBQ off your 22 and put it on your new 25! What improvements have you made to your C22 that you are reluctant to part with? Best, Trevor

J

Jimbo

Multi-hull

Buy another one ( or two ) and build a CATamaran or trihull !!

T

Ted

You'll need lots of super glue

You are right on the money with your idea, and people do this sort of thing all the time. (not) I assume you already have a sawz-all, but you should go down to your local home center and stock up on the super glue to join the boat sections together. ;-D Let us know how it all turns outs.

B

Benjamin Freds

Don't listen to these guys

I did it, and it worked like a champ. You just gotta be certain you get the fine-toothed sawzaw blade. I made the mistake of getting the wood blade and, after a few beers, made a cut. Couldn't wait to epox my "insert" into it only to find that I accidently sawed off the deck! Well, what the hay! I added up instead of out. Now I got myself a two-story cat condo complete with penthouse. On those brisk days I don't even need a sail! Sure it can be done! C'mon, use your imagination guys!

H

Herb

I am confused

With all the replies I am getting confused. If Randy had a serious question I am think that the general thought is that it would not be a good idea. But come on we should be polite in your repsonse, just say it is not a good idea and why you think that. I have heard that it is a funy idea but I have not see anything that stated why. Allow me to start the list of why it may not be the best thought. 1. Cost would exceed the value of the boat. There is not much you can do to a 22 that you can not take with you. last word from me is let's give Randy a serious response that is what this forum is all about. just my two cents worth

C

Chris Burti

Herb, I/we suspect an April Fool's joke!

Similar queries are popping up on other lists from known rascals. If it is a legitimate query, sorry, mean it! If so, it was unfortunate timing like the poor soul drifting onto the rocks at sunset on July 4th. Onlookers just cheered his 'fireworks display' when he set off his emergency flares.

R

Randy Kolb

Busted!

Herb, thank you for trying to get these folks to treat me nicely but they figured me out. It was an April Fool's post. I would never take a saw to my beloved C22!! Happy sailing! Randy

H

Herb

I thought so but

I have seen crazier ideas here on this site but yet I think we should try to answer any question as if it was a serious well thought out question as some day we are all going to ask a stupid question ( that we do not know is a stupid question) and hope for a well thought out answer. I guess I am sensitive because there are many things i have learned here from other questions and always hope to learn from other's mistakes. Herb PS thanks for all the great input on this site. It is the way we learn/

T

Ted

How bout a trailer ?

Why not just tow the 2nd 22? If you connected with a board or something solid you could raise sail on both & it would be like a set of double locomotives.Or side by side a REAL double hulled two masted sailing vessel, don't forget to connect with hinges so both hulls can still heel. Might cause a little weatherhelm if it was solid and you started to "fly" a hull like a cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.