Length of travel

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
I have a 272 le that I bought a year ago and worked on. Mooring it in fairhaven Ma in May. I know its a coastal cruiser but not sure what that means. Could I take a week trip up the coast of Maine or is it more geared to just weekends?
thanks
Paul

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A "coastal cruiser" is a classification that refers to a vessel presumed not designed and built strongly enough to withstand prolonged or repeated exposure to extreme weather w/o a high risk of severe, crippling damage or loss. [Conversely, a bluewater cruiser is presumed to be designed and bulit strongly enough so that it CAN take the exposure w/o the high risk.] So, as long as you're not more than a day's travel from a safe port [or no severe weather around], you're good to go!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I've survived gales for 24-30 hrs. while running for shelter in "coastal cruisers" with little apparent drain bamage.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Keep a weather eye and use common sense and good seamanship, and you can go wherever you want. Agree that a day to safe harbor is wise. I sail my 272LE for 5-7 day trips every summer, hope to extend it this year. Come join some O'Dayers in Mystic this summer at the annual rOnDAYvous. There's a sticky notice of the event on the Ask an ODay owner forum right here. I plan to attend that again this year and tie it into a week or more sail from the south shore of LI, NY.

Oct 26, 2006
Oday 322 Bridgeport
Some of us are going to Newport and Narraganset bay on Sun. from Mystic. Join us.

Mike
AMAZING GRACE
O-322

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I have a 272 le that I bought a year ago and worked on. Mooring it in fairhaven Ma in May. I know its a coastal cruiser but not sure what that means. Could I take a week trip up the coast of Maine or is it more geared to just weekends?
thanks
Paul
Yes you can take the trip. "Coastal cruisers regularly sail to Bermuda in the Marion to Bermuda race. An O'Day 34 won the race on corrected time for all classes back a few decades. Yukon Jack was the name.
I think the best example is the Fastnet Race in 1979. Many people died, many boats were abandoned and a few sunk. What was surprising was many of the abandoned boats were still floating after the conditions subsided. The boats could take a lot more abuse from the weather than the people sailing them. What is important is how are you equipped to deal with emergencies and severe weather events. Do you have a storm drogue for instance, an epirb to call for rescue if needed in event of severe injury or sinking, a liferaft or other method of staying afloat if you lose the boat? Medical supplies and food and water.
Hopping along the coast from port to port is no problem at all going up to Maine, many people in coastal cruisers go from Maine to Florida or beyond every winter. That's what coastal cruisers are all about as opposed to crossing oceans or circumnavigating. The only concern is these boats are getting old so how it's maintained is key, is the rigging sound, good wiring, motor in good shape, bilge pumps in good working condition, lights working, radio, etc.

"The start of the 1989 Race suffered several postponements due to the lack of adequate wind. However, once the race was underway, one hundred and sixty-three vessels, the biggest fleet in the history of the Marion-Bermuda Race, cleared the starting line and headed for that pleasant rendezvous in Bermuda. On Monday, Warren Brown’s WAR BABY of Bermuda crossed the finish line after 72 1/2 hours at sea, breaking the previous record.

Corrected time honors went to John Elliot’s 34 foot Class F sloop YUKON JACK, followed closely by BWSC Commodore Jim Hayes’ 40 foot Class E sloop SHAMBLES. Of the 145 yachts that finished the race, 45 shared in the awarding of 69 trophies at an indoor ceremony at the Princess Hotel."
http://www.marionbermuda.com/index.php?page=memory