Lehr outboard propane bottle, how hot?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I just tried out my new Lehr propane outboard for the first time. Overall, a great experience (minus a reverse gear that, I think, would be handy). We ran around and explored Jarrell Cove at a low to moderate pace, stopping off at the marina store and then back to our boat, for the better part of an hour. But I was surprised at the end of that time at how warm the propane cylinder attached to the motor had become!

It actually shouldn't be a complete surprise, given that there is an aluminum heat shield beneath the cylinder. But, how hot do these things get? How hot is TOO hot, and can it actually get there?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Well, if you use it harder it will cool the bottle though the laws of evaporation. How hot is a little complicated because the relief valve functions off of pressure and not heat which most know. The complication is how much lpg is in the tank. The liquid is a heat sink allowing dissipation of heat. As the contents go down so does the ability to absorb and dissipate but as the liquid goes down the phase change of the liquid to a gas cools the liquid and container. I’d have to look up the actual opening psi of the valve but a lpg tank is normally between 80 and 140 psi dependent on temp. Sorry for the lpg geek fest. I like propane and propane accessories.....

I have the same motor and for what it is worth I leave he bottle on the motor (disconnected) and have no worries. On a different note, I’ve been having a difficult time getting it started but once it’s running it runs great.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Somewhere between 160 and 180 degrees F, the relief will open (~375psig).

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I just tried out my new Lehr propane outboard for the first time. Overall, a great experience (minus a reverse gear that, I think, would be handy). We ran around and explored Jarrell Cove at a low to moderate pace, stopping off at the marina store and then back to our boat, for the better part of an hour. But I was surprised at the end of that time at how warm the propane cylinder attached to the motor had become!

It actually shouldn't be a complete surprise, given that there is an aluminum heat shield beneath the cylinder. But, how hot do these things get? How hot is TOO hot, and can it actually get there?
No idea on the substance of the question; just hijacking your thread with a big :plus: for Jarrell Cove. Probably our favorite destination in the South Sound. Say hi to Steve and Donna if you're back in the next few weeks - we were there a couple weeks ago, and heard they'd be back as marine hosts for the August. :)

Nov 21, 2007
I’ve been having a difficult time getting it started but once it’s running it runs great.
Ours is brand new. Started on the first pull. Is yours used regularly, or only on occasion? Do you prime it before starting each time? I know that priming/purging is only mentioned in the quick start guide, and it says it shouldn't really be necessary.

We kept ours at low speed because we're still learning how to use a small inflatable and outboard. The inflatable is so small that the OB may actually be a little too much power. More work to do on setting trim and how much friction for both the throttle and steering.

Nov 21, 2007
No idea on the substance of the question; just hijacking your thread
No problem! Jerrell Cove is great, as are a lot of the South Sound locations. Easy to get to from where we are, and usually very little traffic or competition for buoys or anchoring spots. :)

Dec 28, 2015
Ours is brand new. Started on the first pull. Is yours used regularly, or only on occasion? Do you prime it before starting each time? I know that priming/purging is only mentioned in the quick start guide, and it says it shouldn't really be necessary.

We kept ours at low speed because we're still learning how to use a small inflatable and outboard. The inflatable is so small that the OB may actually be a little too much power. More work to do on setting trim and how much friction for both the throttle and steering.
What is this priming/purging you speak of? I'm sure this is the problem. I unfortunately do not read instructions like I should.

Dec 28, 2015
Jarrol's Cove is nice. The pina colada shaved ice doesn't live up to the hipe in Waggoners Guide.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Ours is brand new. ...
I didn't know that they were still available. I had an opportunity to buy a gently used one a few months ago, but I passed it up because I could not find a dealer to buy parts from & the company website did not answer my e-mail inquiry.

Aug 22, 2017
What is this priming/purging you speak of? I'm sure this is the problem. I unfortunately do not read instructions like I should.
On that little motor, I think it is a little hole that you stick a paper clip through to defeat the diaphragm spring & let gas purge through the mixing valve.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2007
I didn't know that they were still available.
I bought it just before Christmas last year. It takes me a while to get to some of the things on my to-do list... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nov 21, 2007
It's only mentioned in the quick start guide, the operator manual doesn't show or mention it at all. I checked on the support web page, and the quick start guide gets you a 404 Not Found :-(. But, JimInPB is right. My tool looks like a long pin with a white top, it's in with the tool kit and spares that came with the motor. Keep me posted, if you can't find the quick start and I'll scan and post it.

Aug 22, 2017
If anyone knows where to get water pump rebuild kits for these, please post the source.