Legendary Libations

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Last week's poll tells us that your favorite boat chore involves a bottle opener. Which begs the question:

What's your signature boat drink? Something as simple as your favorite IPA, or a custom cocktail named for your boat? Perhaps your own special coffee brew, or Everclear out of a gallon jug?

Let's share some recipes.

boat-drinks.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's a boat in our club named Dark and Stormy. Tried them in the BVI's but not to my taste. I was hooked on Painkillers but not a good name for a boat, or is it?
The admiral loves Moscow Mules. I'm a stout beer guy.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Something simple, ie Vodka Tonic, rum and Coke. Sundays are Blues and Bloody Marys!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
There's a boat in our club named Dark and Stormy. Tried them in the BVI's but not to my taste. I was hooked on Painkillers but not a good name for a boat, or is it?
The admiral loves Moscow Mules. I'm a stout beer guy.
I forgot to mention that a friend of mine in our sailing club came out on our boat Saturday. I learned that he brews beer at home. Apparently he can obtain beer recipes equivalent to some of his favorite microbrews. I'm looking forward to trying his new coffee stout. :beer:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm somewhat addicted to Coke and/or Pepsi. I also love coconut rum. Just to add a little zest, I added a splash of lemonade and I love it. It's a summer drink, for sure. When I use Malibu Rum, I make it equal part rum & cola. When I use Malibu Black it's more like 2 to 1 cola to rum. Just enough lemonade to taste it is good. Splash it on top after mixing rum & coke. It's the taste that refreshes for me! The lemonade I like best is Simply Lemonade. Newman's is good and so is Minute Maid. I find that WaWa or Countrytime disappoint & the drink is better off without those 2, so I guess I'm most fussy about the lemonade! :facepalm:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Orange Crush - FRESH squeezed OJ (bottled / concentrate just don't cut it) shot and 1/2 vodka, shot triple sec, splash of sprite. Never until the anchor is set or at the dock. Fantastic after a day of sailing during the summer season. Mulled wine or cider after Oct.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I keep the fixings for Dark and Stormy's here always. Funny thing is I can get the Gossling Black Seal rum here, but have to drive to Victoria, a 70 mile round trip, for the non alcoholic Ginger beer

But the daily drink is Cruzan gold, on the rocks or a decent scotch.

Used to be strictly a beer guy. Then I cruised the Bahamas, and found beer at $6 per bottle!! And GOOD rum at $7 per liter, $9 per 1.5 liter.. You do the math :)

But still drink Shiner Boch- one per day

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm more of a distilled spirits or wine drinker. Very occasionally beer seems right. So bourbon, scotch, brandy, gin, rum, cognac, armagnac and more. Not the sweet kinds so much, although some of those over ice cream can be nice. I'm mostly a red wine drinker in the wine world but have been known to enjoy a good white wine. There are a few rose wines that are delightful... When beer does come up, it's usually a darker variety; porter, stout, bock beer but I've also been seen drinking a Corona or two...

My best horse racing is done when they put glasses of wine in the course and must be drunk before finishing the course.... :cool:

If it contains alcohol - I'll try just about anything.....

dj

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Never imbibe while sailing. The after sail beer is a tradition. Yuengling preferred.

Apr 27, 2011
irwin 37 cc Punta Gorda
After the anchor is set, Capt Morgan spiced, ginger ale and a lime. Sailor Jerry will work also. Cooler sunsets call for coffee and Kalua.

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
I’m a whiskey and ginger ale kind of guy, but lately I added some lemonade to the mix and wow is it ever good

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
I was introduced to rum and tonic with a squeeze of lime in the BVI's. But it has to be Mount Gay or a similar gold rum. Not light or dark. Very refreshing in the summer. Although, we usually just do vodka tonic or gin and tonic. And for more serious drinking it has to be scotch. And I'm fond of Japanese whiskeys.

I did read a John Grisham novel recently and a "Pearl Harbor" was mentioned. I think I'll try it: vodka, pineapple juice, and Midori melon liqueur.