Legend 43 stock propellor

Sep 15, 2023
Hunter Legend 43 Little River
Hello all, Im a new member and new to me Hunter Legend 43 owner. Im trying to find info on the stock prop size. The boat was recently surveyed and it seemed like the current prop is a 2 blade 18" diameter 15 pitch RH with an 1 1/4 shaft size. Honestly none of us were completely sure as it was so worn. I have searched like crazy to find the stock propellor information with no luck. It is cracked about 70% of the way through on one side and in need of replacement. Does anyone one here have a Legend 43 or know where I could find this info?

Thanks!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
If you have to replace the original prop, there are better choices now, e.g, feathering/folding props.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
How do you know where to start?
Prop type/size is optimized based on LWL, displacement and engine rating/size. There are a number of online guides you can find searching for “prop size guide” or similar. Engine manufacturers have similar guides. Even WM has one.

better still, I’d solicit answers from other 43 owners here and other sailing forums to get some personal opinions which they like best.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As @Don S/V ILLusion has shared, seeking an “original manufacturer prop” on your boat will not assure you really anything. The boat is 29 years old. In that time, unless you know for certain, the engine, the transmission, even the shaft size may have been altered. Additionally the engineering of props has radically improved over that time period.

Having purchased a mature boat and refitted the prop (that I new the original prop was wrong due to the performance of the old prop) I can attest to this issue.
Here are the original and the new prop side by side.
IMG_3305.jpeg IMG_3443.jpeg

Seek the help of a respected prop shop in your area. Of the two props above the dark old prop is called aMichigan Wheel design. It was considered a “great prop” in the late 70’s. Its performance sucked both for motoring and sailing. The shiny prop is a Campbell Sailor designed and built in BC Canada. It improved my boat’s motoring and sailing performance by 0.7 knots at 80% throttle providing better thrust, improved fuel consumption. I got 1.1 knots better sailing performance due to less drag and significantly less propeller noise while sailing.
Decide your sailing priorities.
  • do you motor sometimes more than you sail
  • Do you race or cruise and seek optimal sailing speed vs motoring speed
  • Are you looking for a blend of such performance
Answers to these performance thoughts will guide you and the prop builder to the type of prop best fitted to your boat, based on the engine/transmission/ boat hull/ prop shaft.
It maybe a 2 two blade, a 3 blade, or one of the folding props, all with improved performance features for your boat and your sailing desires.

Welcome to SBO.
Good luck and fair winds.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
How do you know where to start?
All of the prop manufacturers will give you a recommendation based on some boat—specific information…
-Engine HP @ RPM
-Transmission hear ratio
- boat Length overall and at waterline
-Boat displacement

I reached out on-line to Gori, Max Prop, Flex-o-fold, and others to get recommendations and pricing. Most have a web-form to fill out with the specifics that they want to know to give a proper recommendation.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
All of the prop manufacturers will give you a recommendation based on some boat—specific information…
-Engine HP @ RPM
-Transmission hear ratio
- boat Length overall and at waterline
-Boat displacement

I reached out on-line to Gori, Max Prop, Flex-o-fold, and others to get recommendations and pricing. Most have a web-form to fill out with the specifics that they want to know to give a proper recommendation.

Greg
That was supposed to be “gear“ ratio…..

(Thanks John)

Greg

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have my old two-blade sitting at the fireplace as decoration off my 40.5. It is exactly as you described it as I figured: 2 blade 18" diameter 15 pitch RH with an 1 1/4 shaft size. You may want to try some of the salvage places for a replacement.

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I have a 1996 37.5. I am a fan of 3 bladed props as when in high wind situations the two bladed prop just didn't have the punch through the seas power I desired. I went with a KIWI three bladed feathering prop and am very happy with it. The reason I went with the KIWI was it was less expensive than any of the metal feathering props available. The KIWI prop blades are composite and can be replaced relatively easy without removing the prop from the shaft. I have never had any issues with the KIWI. Reverse is fine with minimal prop walk and I feel I have excellent control when in operating in reverse. I also recommend to go out and practice motoring in reverse for a distance, making port and starboard turns in reverse to get an understanding of how your boat responds and reacts in reverse. You might surprise yourself on how well you can motor in a a straight line in reverse. My inspiration for practicing was watching the dock hands at a Moorings Charter Base move the boats around the marina. The hands just hopped aboard, faced aft and moved the boats to various slips in reverse to the slip they wanted the boat .

Mar 4, 2019
Hunter 40.5 Baja
I have a 1996 37.5. I am a fan of 3 bladed props as when in high wind situations the two bladed prop just didn't have the punch through the seas power I desired. I went with a KIWI three bladed feathering prop and am very happy with it. The reason I went with the KIWI was it was less expensive than any of the metal feathering props available. The KIWI prop blades are composite and can be replaced relatively easy without removing the prop from the shaft. I have never had any issues with the KIWI. Reverse is fine with minimal prop walk and I feel I have excellent control when in operating in reverse. I also recommend to go out and practice motoring in reverse for a distance, making port and starboard turns in reverse to get an understanding of how your boat responds and reacts in reverse. You might surprise yourself on how well you can motor in a a straight line in reverse. My inspiration for practicing was watching the dock hands at a Moorings Charter Base move the boats around the marina. The hands just hopped aboard, faced aft and moved the boats to various slips in reverse to the slip they wanted the boat .
Also just installed a kiwi. Massively less vibration than my old (bent) maxprop, and seems to be the same speed.
If you like actually sailing, then a feathering prop is a must IMO