Legend 40.5 - Genoa furling line cockpit arrangement

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Hi again,
Another subject this time.
I find the furling line cockpit arrangement not very good on my boat, being just the jam cleat on the port coaming. Manageable on the port tack, by using port genoa sheet winch, but a bit painful on stb tack especially in stronger breeze ( of course turning dead down wind makes furling easy but not always practical). Also releasing the line is not easily controlled (the cleat on the back of the coming not very useful as the furling and genoa lines have to cross in order to use it).
I am thinking to install an additional self-tailing winch, in area marked by tape on the attached picture.
I wonder if someone has done it or has it originally installed. The underside seems accessible through a panel holding a light.
Many thanks for advice/comments.
Frank
AF3EB574-03EF-457A-864D-20D9C9AFF9D7.jpeg

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
looks perfectly aligned as is for the primary winch just out of frame....?
Your recommended area should consider fouling of the jib/genoa sheet.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I don't have the same arrangement. I imagine these were designed by whomever commissioned the boat. In my case, the furling line goes back to a block on the lower portion of the pushpit and ties off on a cleat near it. It works fine in that configuration. I do sometimes have to use the winch, but I can use the halyard winch if needed. As for your suggestion, it seems like a bit much for an inconvenience. I'd respectfully suggest other alternatives first. But, if you check the 40.5 manual, you will find that the general location you indicate is called out for spinnaker winches. You may want to sound the area if you go forward to see if there is an aluminum plate bedded beneath it for attaching a winch. Good luck!

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks Rik for your comments, nothing decided yet. I did look on the underside, did not see an aluminum plate, I’ll have another closer look also will check the manual.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Is there something else causing friction? I've never felt the need to use a winch when rolling my head sail. It rolls fairly well. So I'm wondering why you have so much tension.... and is it a good idea to wind up a sail with that much tension on the line? I don't know the answer... just asking the question.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
It is not the friction, just the force needed which is related to the size of the sail. I had a 31 ft Pearson and sail handling was roughly 4 times easier than on 40 ft. Also sailing in trade winds, often up-wind, I like to have better control.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Thanks Rik for your comments, nothing decided yet. I did look on the underside, did not see an aluminum plate, I’ll have another closer look also will check the manual.
You won't see it. it is embedded if it's there. that is. how most of your deck hardware is secured.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You won't see it. it is embedded if it's there. that is. how most of your deck hardware is secured.
Yep
Hunter likes embedded aluminum plates. If you find it you will drill a hole into the plate then use a tap and dye set to bore threads into the hole for your winch attachment bolts.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a. That is a cam cleat. See the jam cleat, below.
b. You really have to plan so that you can furl downwind. If it's blowing, that's a rule of seamanship. In fact, it is useually faster, even including distance lost, than fighting and maybe damamging something. Just turn away fast, furl quickly and efficiently, and head back up. It should take less than a minute. My last boat was bigger, so yes, I understand.

Even when not winching, however, it is nice to have a drum to pull the line around, just so that it doesn't get away from you. Of course, a ratchet block will do that nicely.

If you don't have a spare winch on that side, how about a turning bock and cross winching, on that rare occasion when it is needed?
Also, that line looks awfully small. Replace it with a larger line, but strip the core from the forward 1/3 and it will still fit the drum. Very easy and much more comfortable.

I can't see adding a winch just for that. It's not the money, it's the clutter.

It took me many years to learn the art of doing things the easy, non-damaging way. Placing a furler line on a drum risks damamge. You won't feel a wrap or snag.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks for the comments, as I said in the original post, l know and prefer furling downwind. As you mentioned it’s better to have control of the line going around drum or otherwise. The line is 3/8 or 10 mm, since we have the boat, and I did strip the core from the forward part of the line as it had tendency to jam (the dram is below deck).