Legend 40.5 - Cracking/Jerking noise

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Hello again,
When rolling, at anchor or while sailing off-wind, there is an annoying cracking / jerking noise in aft cabin in the area where companionway side seams to meet the inside liner (the tape marks the area on the attached picture where I can feel the jerking). Not exactly sure how is it constructed, I tried to look through the panel to which the light is mounted without anything revelatory.
I wonder if other experienced same and found a way to remedy it. It has been ongoing for quite a while.
Many thanks
Frank

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On my H356 the liner wasn't so firmly attached to the hull. If the hull flexes, which it probably does, there will be noises as the hull and liner rub against one another. You should have heard the racket when I sailed an ocean race in weather. If you want to stop it buy a Hinckly.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Fero, do you have a picture that gives it a little more context? I don't know your boat, I'm not a Hunter owner, but if I were, I wouldn't want to hear my glass sections rubbing together. If you could pull back a little on the shot please, I can't tell a thing about what the photo could have to do with your question.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Can’t tell from the photo but it looks like that thin cleat is tight up against the glass? If it is it could be part of the problem. If your able to remove it, look where it would rub against the glass. If it appears polished I would sand/file off 1/16-3/32” all along where the glass is fitted and try it again.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is the companionway ladder on the other side of that bulkhead? What model Hunter? (Edit: :redface: never mind that last question. I just reread the title of this thread)

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I never had noise from that area on my 1997 h40.5 but rather on the aft wall of the aft cabin. Also by the shelves on the starboard side in the aft cabin. All were traced to closely fitting woodwork. Removal and sanding to provide clearance fixed all creaking and squeaking.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Thanks for the comments, if I find a way to fix it I’ll post the solution.