Legend 40.5 - Anchor chain stowage

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Hello,
I have 160 ft of chain in the locker, usually use 50 to 80 feet for anchoring (in Caribbean, chain only with shock cord).
When raising anchor the chain starts to bunch up on the slope to well after say 25 feet, so I have to use a 5ft plastic pipe (was there from PO) to push the chain down. PITA when I don’t have a helper beside me (most of the time).
I wander if other 40.5 owners experience the same, and if anyone found a way to solve it.
Many thanks
Frank

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Same issue. I just stop the chain and kick it down with my foot.
Edited to add: 5/16 G4 chain

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Is it possible to mount a more slippery surface on the slope - a slick sheet of thin rigid plastic maybe? Or maybe even sheet stainless steel? So the chain might be less likely to catch on the slope?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I would venture a guess that this is a common characteristic and a result of where the windless is mounted, but it really couldn't be mounted any further forward. I guess a crafty engineering type individual could develop a guide for the chain coming off the windless allowing it to drop toward the center of the locker.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Same problem. Like Rich, I just stop the winch and kick it down or use a short stick. MAKE SURE you do not allow the backed up chain to reach the underside of the winch where it feeds off the gypsy. If you do there is a chance the backed up chain will kick the chain off the gypsy and then immediatly drop!! Could be very dangerous and don't try to stop it if it is running free of the gypsy!

fero

Jan 15, 2010
It’s a brand new 5/16 chain, tried to grease the slope, not much better. Thanks for all comments.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Same problem. Same stick poking solution. I'd love to fix it but no idea what would work.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
It’s a brand new 5/16 chain, tried to grease the slope, not much better. Thanks for all comments.
I'd remove ALL of the grease. Grease tends to get "gummy" for this kind of application especially when it gets dirty. If I were going to try anything, I'd try Boeshield spray on the surface but that won't last long and may not be any better than the stick solution.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
How about a wedge-shaped piece of PTFE that is high under the gypsy and tapers to zero at the edge of the sloping panel. It could serve to increase the overall slope and be naturally slippery at the same time.

Or make a 6" wide strip of rollers, like a roller conveyor belt that the chain would roll instead of sliding? The rollers could be made from PTFE tubing running on S/S bolts or pins. This would be placed under the gypsy.

Aug 12, 2018
I wouldn't think grease would help that much, since this is a low-pressure friction scenario. The grease might even increase the friction/stickiness.

In fact, I'm not sure that friction is the root problem here, strictly speaking. The bumpiness of the sliding surface might be the biggest problem, assuming it is un-faired non-gelcoated fiberglass.

I was thinking mostly of applying a solid sheet material with a slick surface, such as plastic or stainless steel.

But I don't know what your anchor chain well/locker looks like, so I don't know if applying a sheet of something will even work for you.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
I have tried something different, I usually anchor in 15 to 20 feet rarely 25 ft so50 to 75 feet of chain is enough practically all the time. I loaded half of the chain over the line hold (see picture) big improvement, chain will still bunch a bit but needs only slight push to slide in.
EC54FDA9-69E3-4D64-BB64-773F5E245034.jpeg

Aug 12, 2018
I have tried something different, I usually anchor in 15 to 20 feet rarely 25 ft so50 to 75 feet of chain is enough practically all the time. I loaded half of the chain over the line hold (see picture) big improvement, chain will still bunch a bit but needs only slight push to slide in.
Does the chain bunch up on the slide area just downstream of the windlass, or further down in the chain locker? If on that slide area, then that's where I was thinking that maybe a slicker surface might help, such as hard shiny plastic or stainless steel sheet.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The short answer is "replace with SS chain." It's slippery; does not crust over, does not kink in windlass. Does pile up some, but slides earlier. Disregard the negative comments from those who do not use SS; except the ones about price!

• Ha