Legend 37 and genset

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Looking at a Legend 37, has A/C but no genset. Will be located on the Gulf Coast, LA or AL. Any overnight trip will require A/C at night, at least for a few hours. Prefer to anchor out but with no genset will have to use marinas.
What do other people do?

Bob

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Different model here, but our boat came equipped with a main and aft cabin reverse cycle heat pump. In order to operate these, the choice is either shore power or Genset. Never had a need for the cool side, but during our winter cruises or at the dock will use the heat side. Genset really comes in handy during our extended (two month) cruises where we prefer to anchor out rather than some marina.

Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
Totally agree, we lived aboard and cruised for six years with A/C and a genset. Rarely used it at anchor but sure nice to have when needed. I'm looking for information about installing a genset on a 37. Is there room and where is it?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Apr 10, 2017
Seidelman 37 Kemah, TX
What I'm hoping for. Trying to downsize from our 41' CC Irwin. Been a struggle, giving up 7.5 KW genset, 110 gal fuel, 150 gal water and a watermaker.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I have a 2005 Hunter 38. No genset, but designated space is on starboard side under bench in front of galley. I have a big space there that I use for food storage.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I have a 2005 Hunter 38. No genset, but designated space is on starboard side under bench in front of galley. I have a big space there that I use for food storage.
Interesting place for a Genset if I am interpreting the location correctly? That would place the Genset right in the salon (or nearly so). I can see that for the A/C heat pump though. I have a Hunter 40.5 and installed a Nextgen 5.5KW in the starboard lazarette. I think the layout for the 38 is similar to the 40.5. I'm pretty sure you will not be able to do the arrangement mentioned on the Passage 42 (CC) to put the generator above the propulsion engine. Just not enough room there. Hopefully you'll get some more direct input from other Hunter 38 owners. I understand the need for the Generator - summer here is opressive with the heat and humidity and is a must for the Admiral (if I want here to go with me anyway).