LED running lights

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
I am considering replacing the bulbs on my running lights with LEDs, but I have read that replacing the narrow incandescent filament with a wider LED light source affects the cutoff angle of the light, resulting in (for instance) an oncoming boat seeing both a red and green bow light. Anybody have any experience with this?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Sandy, I did that in a Aquasignal 25 single bulb, bi-colour bow light. I got across from my slip,(100 feet in front of my slipped boat) and with the light on with original bulb, I noted where I could see the light from the side then noted where the color changed.. I noticed no visible difference in performance with the LED "bulb" except it was a little brighter..
This is what I used in warm white.. Must be warm white to correctly render the lens colors
http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_45&product_id=73

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I wish all the people who "read" something like this would state their source. Otherwise, it's incorrect heresay. A source, please.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
These bicolor fixtures can tell you that there is an oncoming boat but do not pretend to be able to figure out their actual relative course with any certainty. For that reason I do not think a change in bulb brightness will make any difference. What I read out of these fixtures is that I have a warning of oncoming traffic and that I need to be alert. The lights can also provide me with an indication of the closing speed; I can judge if it is a sailboat approaching or a fast mover. I have always when dealing with fast moving boats made decisive changes in course to telegraph unequivocally which course I'm taking.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
The problem may arise when replacing a festoon style bulb which illuminates 360 degrees, with an LED. You have to make sure you get a round or 4 sided LED replacement, not the standard flat LED that only shines forward.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
If you have USCG approved fixtures and change the lamps they might not be approved any more and the manufacturer can wash their hands of them. I change fixtures for navigation lights and lamps in all other. I leave the original steaming light as the engine is running whenever it's on. I worry about liability on these types of items.

Dec 10, 2012
Hunter 410 Rochester, NY
Replacement Bulbs

I have gone thru and replaced all my interior bulbs with LED, was able to find an automotive supplier that charges not much more than $1.00 each (they are actually just tail lights for cars). However on running lights after looking around and not finding a suitable replacement I also noticed how crazed the plastic lenses were for my original lights and then chose to replace them with new units I located online that I am very happy with and were reasonable in cost. As far as the Anchor lite you can check with West Marine I think they do sell "approved" LED replacement bulbs thought at a premium.

Jun 2, 2007
I have an Aqua Signal single-bulb bi-color bow light, 25W bulb. The caution I referred to came from a user review on one of the suppliers' web sites - don't remember which.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I am considering replacing the bulbs on my running lights with LEDs,...
I don't see the point of replacing running light with LEDs unless you plan on sailing long distances at night. Your alternator is creating enough power for your incandescent running lights. Even my incandescent anchor light uses only 3W, an LED to replace would cost over $20. Not much bang for my buck there either. Interior lights should be first priority.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It is not recommended using a white LED in a running light with colored lenses. It is recommended that you buy the appropriate colored LED.
I converted my forward Aqua Signal running lights and had constant troubles with water intrusion. At $47.00 a bulb, that became a pretty expensive proposition.
I bought the proper, sealed LED running light fixtures for slightly more than the bulbs were costing, and now we have cheap to operate (electrically), efficient and reliable running lights.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I wish all the people who "read" something like this would state their source. Otherwise, it's incorrect heresay. A source, please.
Sounds like he was asking advice. He read hearsay and didn't know what to think. I'm not sure the source was relevant. Especially since it's hearsay.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
ok here is a pic of my LED nav lights taken 15 mins ago the anchor light id on along with the steaming and deck light and the bow lights red and green the all have leds in them even the deck light and the red and green are the color of the lines it shines through it was almost dark thirty at that time still a little light for the horizon this was taken with my i phone

Attachments

Jun 2, 2007
Thanks for the replies everyone, especially for the link Kloudie. As it happens, we are planning on sailing some long distances at night, and the bow and stern running lights combined pull about 4 amps at present. Our interior overhead lights are fluorescent, kind of old school, but they work and don't pull a whole lot of juice.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
ok here is a pic of my LED nav lights taken 15 mins ago the anchor light id on along with the steaming and deck light and the bow lights red and green the all have leds in them even the deck light and the red and green are the color of the lines it shines through it was almost dark thirty at that time still a little light for the horizon this was taken with my i phone
Those are white LEDs in your bow nav lights?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It is not recommended using a white LED in a running light with colored lenses. It is recommended that you buy the appropriate colored LED.
Depends on the lens. Normally you'd put a WHITE LED, not a COOL WHITE LED in a lens that used to have incandescent white. Cool white and color changes the color characterisicts of the red/green.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Depends on the lens. Normally you'd put a WHITE LED, not a COOL WHITE LED in a lens that used to have incandescent white. Cool white and color changes the color characterisicts of the red/green.
The proper solution is a red Led behind a red lens and a green Led behind a green lens. When changing to Led you are going from a multi spectrum bulb to a single spectrum emitter.

As posted changing to an Led bulb does mean in almost every case that the light is no longer approved.

The other problem is that you still have the corrosion problems between bulb and fixture contacts. This doesn't exist in a good led fixture which is sealed and most likely epoxy potted. Water intrusion is not an issue with a good Led fixture.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I converted my forward Aqua Signal running lights and had constant troubles with water intrusion. At $47.00 a bulb, that became a pretty expensive proposition.
I bought the proper, sealed LED running light fixtures for slightly more than the bulbs were costing, and now we have cheap to operate (electrically), efficient and reliable running lights.
My factory installed leds are white with a colored lens. Not sure of the fixture manufacturer.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The thing with the white is that in order to render the colors of the bi-color lens, the "color temperature" of the LED should be close to 3000 or so. These are normally "warm White" in color and are multi wavelength emitters.. the "cool white" bulbs emit more in the blue range and do not render the lens colors correctly. Coast Guard does not "approve" nav lights. They have a "performance standard" that the lights must hit or exceed to be called navigation lights. The standard lists visibility at distance and cutoff angles. If a bulb is at least as bright as the OEM one and the color is correct and the cutoff angles are correct, it is a navigation light. Specifically, if the light can be seen for 2 miles (for a vessel more than 12 meters long) or 1 mile (!) for a vessel less than 12 meters, the bulb is bright enough.. you can see a candle at a bit over one mile, so it doesn't take much brightness to meet the standard.. the cutoff angles for the red/green are 112 degrees from directly ahead.. There is always some overlap with bi-color lights in the dead ahead sector.

Jan 27, 2015
Morgan OI 41 Boynton Beach
Have replaced all nav and interior lights with led and could not be more pleased. Started with the anchor light, got tired of replacing bulb every year or less. Led has been in place now for five years and is brighter and draws less current. Capt Thomas