Led Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
So any way I thinking of changing the lights in cabin to Led's and what did you use,so many different places to go and I have florecent lights in the main cabin on my 2007 H-36.
I no it has been dicussed but never really put it into my senior memory
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have been buying different bulbs from China for about $1-$2 each, including shipping. If you have the small ceiling lights like mine they have two little prongs and are classfied as G4 bulbs. You are welcome to come over and take a look at what I have. You should probably keep the flourescent bulbs and only change out the halogens.
Dennis

Squidd

Sep 26, 2011
AMF Alcort Paceship PY26 Washburn Wi. Apostle Islands
Where are you getting leds for $1-$2...?

I haven't looked alot, but the ones I did find were $6-$8...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Sailgunner

I love to see what you have,can you send private message with phone # and can call you.
Nick

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Guys,

The cheap ones typically do NOT have on-bulb voltage regulation. Its a big deal on a boat that charges its own batteries. This site has lots of info and great bulbs. $15 is cheap for a bulb you will never replace.

http://store.marinebeam.com/

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
As I understand it flourecents are the way to go for cabin lightning. They offer the best compromise between light output, power consumption and cost. The lower end LEDs are to beamy and the color is not natural. I surely do not want to pay $40 for a bulb that will outlive me and only save a few amps in power consumption. Nick I know you have a generator so drawing down your batteries on an extended trip should be of no concern. For anchor and navigation lights LED is the way to go for their brightness and low maintenance in places you do not often want to visit; no matter the cost. But for the cabin where bulbs can be easily replaced the need and the performance have not yet met, at least for me.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
For anchor and navigation lights LED is the way to go for their brightness and low maintenance in places you do not often want to visit; no matter the cost. But for the cabin where bulbs can be easily replaced the need and the performance have not yet met, at least for me.
Benny, I have long thought the same, and we don't even have a generator! :D

Nov 7, 2009
Hunter 22 bloomington,in
I have 4 overhead lights in my little 22 footer and the led's light it up like day light.My bulbs are festoon type with 6 leds per bulb.I have one battery and Ieft my mast light on for 13 hours one night.I checked my battery at the beginning an it showed 12.67. After 13 hours it only droped to 12.65. I now have them in every socket in and outside of my boat. I don't think you can beat them.I had some extras and gave some away at the marina and sold some on this sight for about $6,7. I should try to get more. I don't think you can beat em.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
LED's Are Not Worth It ....................

................... if you are thinking of upgrading from fluorescent to LED. In the end, it comes down to what you are prepared to accept for a quality of light. The current LED's just don't make the grade for illumination. Great for indicator lights (lights to be seen) such as anchor lights and running lights but not for illumination within the cabin.

I've been looking at LED's for years. Each time a new ground breaking model appears, I jump up and buy one as a sample to see how they look in use. Haven't found one yet that satisfies for full spectrum.

I have two overhead light fixtures (about 24" apart) in the galley which both have incandescents. For testing, I replace one of the incandescents with the latest LED and can then switch them back and forth to compare. The latest LED's are certainly much brighter than the older models but always have a hollow look to them. I can only attribute this to the lack of full spectrum light. The latest one I've tried is the Sensibulb and I'm still not convinced to change over. In fact, I recently plugged in a small, warm white fluorescent tube in the galley and found it to emit a much warmer light than the LED.

There is always hope as I understand the next generation of LED is the organic LED and should bear looking into once it gets into the illumination market. LG has just come out with an organic LED television screen which will be released soon.

Attachments

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Don't you wonder why Rick and Ralph see different results? Are there lens covers involved and are they different? Maybe it is the difference in space, small 22-footer versus big boat. Why is the little LED on my Kindle so bright and they can't make an overhead? I did buy a Dr. LED lamp for the anchor light. It will be my first on the boat. Just wonderin'.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
................... if you are thinking of upgrading from fluorescent to LED. In the end, it comes down to what you are prepared to accept for a quality of light. The current LED's just don't make the grade for illumination. Great for indicator lights (lights to be seen) such as anchor lights and running lights but not for illumination within the cabin.

I've been looking at LED's for years. Each time a new ground breaking model appears, I jump up and buy one as a sample to see how they look in use. Haven't found one yet that satisfies for full spectrum.

I have two overhead light fixtures (about 24" apart) in the galley which both have incandescents. For testing, I replace one of the incandescents with the latest LED and can then switch them back and forth to compare. The latest LED's are certainly much brighter than the older models but always have a hollow look to them. I can only attribute this to the lack of full spectrum light. The latest one I've tried is the Sensibulb and I'm still not convinced to change over. In fact, I recently plugged in a small, warm white fluorescent tube in the galley and found it to emit a much warmer light than the LED.

There is always hope as I understand the next generation of LED is the organic LED and should bear looking into once it gets into the illumination market. LG has just come out with an organic LED television screen which will be released soon.
Our experience with LED has been drastically different than Ralphs. Our entire boat, except for one Alpenglow fluorescent in the galley, is LED and we love it.

My defining moment for LED was this past summer when a customer asked me to convert his overhead dome lights on his boat to LED interior lights from Halogen.

I ordered them from Sailors Solutions at about 3:00 on one day and they were here the next. I went to his boat and replaced them before the weekend, when I promised him they'd be installed. Before I could send him an invoice the weekend had come and I got a text asking when the LED bulbs would be installed. I texted back for him to look at his battery monitor. The next text was simply "Holy $hit I thought they were still the old bulbs".. This guy is a pretty picky customer and quite observant so it made me realize LED had come a long way..

Our Alpenglow fluorescent draws 3X more power than a single Sensibulb and puts out about the same light. We can run three Sensibulbs to the one fluorescent and have a lot more light for the same energy used. We dropped our overnight consumption so much that we now use just 8-10% of our bank capacity/day. We use lots of on-board lights so for us the payback was a huge reduction in used energy. Not everyone uses as much on-board light as we do so it may not be as big a pay back.

About a month ago I converted the can lights in our kitchen at home and the bulbs, while expensive @ $35.00 each are not discernible from our 65W incandescent bulbs. They also dim with a standard Lutron. When the prices come down we'll do more.

I've seen some pretty reasonably priced LED's with constant current that have a nice warm color so I don't think you necessarily need to spend the $35.00 per bulb like you used to. I'm not a huge fan of the new color temp of the latest Sensibulbs but the beam is wide and they are very bright for a single emitter. The older ones were actually warmer than halogens and the new ones are close to the same color temp.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Thanks

I am looking to change the lights in the vee berth and rear berth and anchor light would really be good,most times I do use the gen but rather not use it at night or early morning when anchored around other boats,
Nick

Nov 7, 2009
Hunter 22 bloomington,in
Ed I think you hit the nail on the head. The leds have a narrow beam of light but when I put the lens cover back on it acts like a defusser.I even put them in my SUV.Not to save energy but because I like the bright white that they put out.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Maybe I'm blind, or not as color sensitive as some, but I could not tell the difference in either light color or pattern when I swapped out a boat-full of G4 halogens for these $15 LEDs. Except the 90% power reduction.

http://store.marinebeam.com/g4ledbu6smdp.html

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Where are you getting leds for $1-$2...?

I haven't looked alot, but the ones I did find were $6-$8...
On EBay, straight from China. Search on Ebay for LED lights like "G4 LED" and a whole bunch will show up.

Dec 29, 2010
Hunter 25.5 Point Venture, TX
Nick,

Last year at this time I bought a Hunter 25.5. I then spent the next 6 months going through the boat stem to stern. To reduce the current required for lighting I replaced all of the incandescent bulbs with LEDs. For me the reduction in current draw was the main reason to go to LEDs. The 25.5 has four incandescent cabin lights and two fluorescent fixtures. I opted to replace all of the incandescent cabin lights with LEDs. I found suitable replacements for both the bayonet blubs and the festoon bulbs at http://www.superbrightleds.com. Thus I was able to switch over to LEDs without replacing any of the fixtures. (I left the fluorescent lights in the galley and the head intact. And I also reused the Aqua Signal chart light.)

For the running/navigation lights I wanted to get bulbs rated for that usage so I went to http://www.DoctorLED.com. They have festoon blubs compatible with the Aqua Signal series 25 running lights on the 25.5 and festoon bulbs compatible with the Perko steaming light and the Perko anchor light on the 25.5. (FYI. I also replaced the lens on all of these lights. In the end it might have been less expensive to purchase new LED fixtures all around ... but I was trying to keep the boat as "original" as possible ... while upgrading to LEDs.)

Hope this info is helpful.

E. Godsey

Dec 26, 2011
Jeanneau SunOdyssey ANT
Have a look at the next links.
Just read the comments , buy the stuff and you will be a happy camper/sailor.

http://jeanneau.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=eq&thread=1217&page=1

http://jeanneau.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=eq&thread=1416&page=1

This is the Chinese seller
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEN-12V-24V...857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ada1dcd69

I'm using the square - and also the round ones.
Make sure you choose the right color temp , and check his site for offers.
They're in my boat for 2 sailing saisons now , and not one broke down or failed my expectations.
Cheap , effective and good stuff.
I recently converted a new batch into navigation lights (with waterproof jacket)

And if you dont mind reading an artikel in a foreign language , this is how I made the leds watertight.
No need to understand the written part ,the pictures will explain the procedure.
http://www.zeilersforum.nl/index.ph...7706-de-heilige-graal-van-de-navigatielichten

Good luck

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Another LED fan here, albeit in a smaller boat. I replaced the festoon bulbs in my cabin lights with warm white LED bulbs from Lunasea lighting and am happy with the results. Also did the mast light with super bright LED bulbs from the same place, and it's impressive.

On the home front, I swapped the can light bulbs in my kitchen out with LED can light upgrades from Cree. A major improvement there also. 11 watts vs the 60 watt incandescents and they're dimmable and the light isn't obnoxiously white.

Status
Not open for further replies.