LED lighting replacement recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

luken7

Aug 21, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oriental
Good day, on our B361, we're looking to change the interior lighting to LED bulbs to help with our power consumption. Has anyone replaced theirs yet? Both the cabin top lights and reading lights? I've been looking at Dr. LED for replacements and wanted to get your thoughts on what make/model numbers you used for yours.

thx, Tony
S/V Hemispheres

Nov 23, 2009
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Clipper --
I replaced all halogen G4 bulbs with cheap ones (around $1.5 each) bought from ebay about a year ago. So far, so good.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Unless I've missed something recently, these forums are not happy with Dr LED products. ANCOR and others make G4-bulb replacements. In my berth and head ceilings I used the 7-LED ones, with the larger (14?) over the galley and chart table. True, they are such low current draw you could go with the biggest in every fixture. You will want the higher output (# of LEDs) for the reading/spot lights- the ones with heat sinks.

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Check out my website, i replaced my cabin lights 2 years ago with leds, one of the best upgrades I have done to the boat, very happy with the bulbs I chose and the quality and quantity of light that i get out of them.

Sep 6, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 373 Starr, SC
I am on my 2nd sailboat over the past 7 years. I have used LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com. Go to the 12 volt/automotive section and select the appropriate bulb. I use their bulbs both inside and outside the boat without any failure thus far.

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
I replaced some of our bulbs with Imtra G4 soft white, side pin LEDs and am very happy. Brighter yet soft light. Easier on the eyes when reading too. Got mine through Haven Harbor Marina in Rock Hall, MD.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Marinebeam

Did all my overhead G-4 lamps with the MarineBeam dual-color switchable LEDs. You cycle the lamp switch quickly to go from red to white. Good lighting solution. Next comes a replacement for the Hella nav table lamp. Next year the navigation lamps.

Oct 5, 2011
Mike B said:
I replaced some of our bulbs with Imtra G4 soft white, side pin LEDs and am very happy. Brighter yet soft light. Easier on the eyes when reading too. Got mine through Haven Harbor Marina in Rock Hall, MD.
Mike B.! What kinda $$ did they cost?

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Here's a interesting LED lamp that is dual ac/dc

It is a dual ac/dc lamp with 60 "super bright LEDS" (?) and 180 lumens output -- as stated on the website. Interesting that it is dual ac and dc however. I emailed the company and asked them how the two power sources are hooked up, they responded that the dc is hooked up via a 120vac to 12v dc adapter, and that the lamp has "Only one power input to the light. As long as you do not connect it direct to 120vac it will be fine. But you will have to manage that. It will not be automatic."

Regarding voltage regulation, they also stated that this "particular light does have a current regulator built in to protect the leds from voltage variations."

So having one lamp that can be pwoered by ac and dc is interesting. Price is listed as $59.95.

Any experience with this lamp, or the company, or knowledge of whether 180 lumens is good or not?

Here's a photo and the link; specific lamp is 3/4 towards the bottom of the webpage:

http://autolumination.com/homefixtures.htm

Sep 6, 2011
I saw that too and want to replace our florescent fixtures with LED. Taylorbrite (same company as fenders etc) has one I've considered that Defender carries but at $159 the price has slowed me down. Has anyone seen a switchable red/white in a G4 back mount bulb? The site with the odd ac/dc light has bulbs that change colors but it's a bit excessive unless you disco on in the boat. :) SC

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
The Imtras were $17 and change. They're a very good light. If you can get to a boat show you may find them cheaper.

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
I ordered ikea led light strips.. When I get home I'll provide a link..

They are 12v with a 120v ac to 12v dc power brick.. I just cut the wires and hooked them into the 12 volt system on the boat.. I replaced all my salon lights with these for less that $150! The produce a nice soft light, but plenty of it.. And they have a switch built in too..

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Real newbie question here, but are led lights efficient enough to use as 12v only-- even when on shore power at dock? Or do y'all still rely on 120vac lighting when shore power is available? I have a mid sized boat, an ODay 27 with standard configuration for that sized boat: v birth, enclosed head and lav, center saloon, 2 qtr births and an engine compartment. Each would need their own light strips right? It appears led lighting does not punch out very far at all; perhaps multiple strips are needed in a STD sized saloon?

Thanks

JQ

Sep 6, 2011
JonnyQuest said:
Real newbie question here, but are led lights efficient enough to use as 12v only-- even when on shore power at dock? Or do y'all still rely on 120vac lighting when shore power is available? I have a mid sized boat, an ODay 27 with standard configuration for that sized boat: v birth, enclosed head and lav, center saloon, 2 qtr births and an engine compartment. Each would need their own light strips right? It appears led lighting does not punch out very far at all; perhaps multiple strips are needed in a STD sized saloon?

Thanks

JQ
JQ they are IMHO. The light can be a little harsher (white or blue tint vs softer light of incandescent or halogen.) I have mostly reading style lighting which is fine for me 95% of the time. The other 5 % we have florescent strip lighting which will also be changed to LED within the next year. you may want to look at dome lights mounted on the bulkhead for quarter berths. SC

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010

They are 12v with a 120v ac to 12v dc power brick.. I just cut the wires and hooked them into the 12 volt system on the boat.. I replaced all my salon lights with these for less that $150! The produce a nice soft light, but plenty of it.. And they have a switch built in too..
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50163848/

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS

Billy,
Your Catalina 30 is a bit larger than my ODay, where did you place your lights? Are they just for your berths or do you have them in the saloon as well? How many in the saloon and how is the lighting? Good also for reading at a distance or just in close proximity to the bulbs?

Obviously I have yet to see a boat with LEDs as thelighting down below.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Billy,
Your Catalina 30 is a bit larger than my ODay, where did you place your lights? Are they just for your berths or do you have them in the saloon as well? How many in the saloon and how is the lighting? Good also for reading at a distance or just in close proximity to the bulbs?

Obviously I have yet to see a boat with LEDs as thelighting down below.

Thanks for the feedback! :)
i have them for the berths and the salon. and you can easily read by the light. its a warm color, not the blue or extreme white you get with most LED lights. And from an output perspective, it is brighter than the florescence that were originally in the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.