LED bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2011
Tibato MacGregor 26M Chicoutimi
Hi everyone,

I would change both my navigation and cabin incandescent light bulbs for LED light bulbs if I could find LED bulbs fitting the origin sockets on my 2002 Mac 26 M.

The canadian MacGregor dealer doesn't reply to my e-mail.:cry:

Has anyone found such LED light bulbs?

Nov 9, 2011
Thanks.

It is not listed.

I sent a querry.

Probably not existing, yet.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
They have replacement bulbs for the Davis Megalight, which I rather like for several jobs including close-quarter anchor light in a tight anchorage (fireworks displays), and cockpit general lighting, and even as a steaming light when the mast is down. $10 for the BA9S base LED replacement bulb, which is the same as the OEM Aqua Signal nav. lights on my '99 X, except for the masthead light. I don't know how they'd work without voltage regulation, though, unless it's built into the bulb, but for $10 I'll give them a try.

Oh, and they have their own version of the Mega Light with photodiode on/off using an LED.

http://store.marinebeam.com/utanliwiduto.html

http://store.marinebeam.com/damelirele.html

Apr 30, 2006
Macgregor 26s Kemah, TX
There was a thread about the Davis Megalight using the led bulbs from this company. I have the more powerful bulb and use the megalight as my only anchor light. It's also a great cockpit and cabin light. It's way brighter than the original bulb.

Nov 9, 2011
I don't understand the need for a voltage regulator for neither a navigation light nor a cabin light. Its seems to me that as the battery voltage goes down, it is good to see the lights go down as well, when you are at sea at night. No?

It signals: time to start the engine.

What am I missing?

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
LED lights use something like 3 volts? so you need a voltage regulator to keep them from burnning out.

Sometimes several lites (the little ones) are wired in serries to lower the voltage.

I don't understand the need for a voltage regulator for neither a navigation light nor a cabin light. Its seems to me that as the battery voltage goes down, it is good to see the lights go down as well, when you are at sea at night. No?

It signals: time to start the engine.

What am I missing?

Nov 9, 2011
I just read on a French Canadian forum, that the latest LED bulbs are equiped with a zener diode inside the bulb. The zener limits the voltage so a separate regulator would be redundant.

The guy says his 47 footer has been exclusively equipped with LED bulbs for five years, including the mast head light which he forgot «on» for days. He says he never had a bulb burning out, despite not having any regulator in his circuits.

Is that possible?

Edit: I finally found this. The secret is not to buy just anything based on the price. ;)

Thanks for your precious help, everybody !:)

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-54258538930337/IdiotsGuide.pdf

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2009
2 26M Pilot
The three inside cabin lights can be easily replaced by leds with the same bases. I got mine from West Marine, about $30.00 each, and are almost as bright as the original. The running lights might get into legal issues if they are not approved for such use but are available. Yachtlights.com I believe might have approved lights.

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
LEDs...

current use is a functions of impedance... from low to high battery conditions, the voltage changes.. if you use a resistor to limit the current at one voltage, then the current will also change.... thus changing the light output... that's all fine....

but suppose someone sets the current used at "operating voltage" at a "high level" - to get the most light out... Then if you increase the voltage (like charging), then your overvoltage can put too much current into the LED - dramatically decreasing the LED operating life and degrading output...

The LED might last 5 years, but it's operating output could also be greatly reduced...

It is "sort of" a cost tradeoff.... and Zener Diodes, linear regulators, and switching regulators are all used.. for a fixture with 7 or 15 LEDs, it's a good idea to have a switching regulator (most efficient regulator) - but they can have issues too....

A Zener is simplest and cheapest way to prevent over voltage - and can work well in something like a simple light...

There are going to be a lot of opinions - based on experience - and the bottom line is that most of the solutions will work better than incandescent....

some get annoyed at switching supplies because the can put out RF and mess with the radios.. some do - not all...

--jr

Nov 9, 2011
I bought from Marinebeam, the oscillator regulator design. 8 of them, for 180 USD.

I didn't hear about the radio interference potential problem. I sure hope the régulators oscillation frequency is well out of the UHF carrier frequencies range. Otherwise, it would be a fatal design flaw.

Actually, I would expect the regulator to oscillate at a rather low frequency.

Besides, my radios circuit is independant of everything else in the boat. So no power interference likely, the batteries bank isolating the circuits from each other interference, considering the low internal impedance of two batteries paralled and the low current draw of the LEDS through that low impedance.

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 25 Southern Maryland
The three inside cabin lights can be easily replaced by leds with the same bases. I got mine from West Marine, about $30.00 each, and are almost as bright as the original. The running lights might get into legal issues if they are not approved for such use but are available. Yachtlights.com I believe might have approved lights.
Good info. Thanks.

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Somewhat related...

Anyone have a source for well made, solid brass, interior reading light fixtures... pre-setup with warm light LED's?

I'm having a hard time with the ones I have which are plated.

Jeff R.

Sep 6, 2011
Kestle said:
Somewhat related...

Anyone have a source for well made, solid brass, interior reading light fixtures... pre-setup with warm light LED's?

I'm having a hard time with the ones I have which are plated.

Jeff R.
I haven't used either product but have used the merchant for both. Defender has one item 700995. On ebay seller Boaterbits has a different one a little cheaper. They're out there if you google "Solid brass LED reading light boat". I did check the SBO store first but didn't find anything.

SC

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
If I knew the bulbs you have I can get you the LED bulbs you need. Need to know more about your light fixtures, or the bulb number or type (single bayonet, double bayonet, festoon, watts, volts, etc.)

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
The reading lights are new, and am replacing all of them with new fixtures, so nice sold classy look is what I'm looking for in the fixtures. The bulb mount is less important,as the will all be reading lights.

Thanks for the replies. I have googled, but I didn't know any of the manufacturers and wanted something nice, so was looking for experiences of others.

Jeff

Kestle

Jun 12, 2011
MacGregor 25 San Pedro
Kestle said:
The reading lights are new, and am replacing all of them with new fixtures, so nice sold classy look is what I'm looking for in the fixtures. The bulb mount is less important,as the will all be reading lights.

Thanks for the replies. I have googled, but I didn't know any of the manufacturers and wanted something nice, so was looking for experiences of others.

Jeff
Sorry to reply to my own post, but I am looking for twelve volts. I'm not sure what is an appropriate lumen level for a boat reading light...a warm light, similar in color to an old school flashlight bulb

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.