lectresan head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Connolly

There's a 26m in my future. I've got the CD, read the brochures and visited the web site. My question is in reference to the potty. Is it possible to install a lectrasan head system on a Mac 26M. My previous experience with porta potties has been anything but pleasant. Also, While my grandchildren have been steadfast in their proclamations to be my crew in the future, "Don't worry Pop, we'll sail to the ends of the earth with you." I've had experience with two generations of teenagers. So! I anticipate lots of single hand sailing on Biscayne Bay. Therfore , what autopilot is used by most Mac sailors with wheel steering. Thanks, and I hope to see you guys out there soon.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
lectresan head?

I thought that was a disease of your private parts...what the heck is a "Lectresan head"?

B

Bill Connolly

Did I spell it wrong?

That's one of those fancy dingus's that treat the Poop electrically before dumping it into the sea. Supposedly coliform free.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Got it...

those are pretty darned pricey. Why not get a MSD type portapotti and plumb it up for a pump out? Around there I imagine every place has a pump out station. Plus it won't tax your battery(s).

M

mrbill

hey Bill Connolly

Hi Bill, so where are you goint to keep the boat? CGSC mooring? blackpt, Hmst, MYC ? are you going to keep it in water? (Have you secured a spot yet? its pretty hard to get a slip lately) CGSC moorings are still available last I checked... you should visit the http://www.miami-macs.com If it were me, I would go for the MSD portaPottie, and pump out. -Dont you have to plumb in and out seacocks below water line? wonder if you can get below waterline w/water balast? (dont they need to be below water when heeled too?) how much battery do they use? my understanding is it takes quite a while to treat the waste before it goes overboard, and theres a few tanks (stages) the waste goes thru before it goes over... then theres the price of the unit, and treatment itself... -also, dont they need to be used frequently or the membranes need to be replaced... And, some lakes are no discharge areas, which would make you illegal. (even thought your output is cleaner than storm runoff, it would be a discharge, and illegal)

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
Hey Yourself!

MrBill: Why on the trailer of course. But I do intend to spend more than a day at a time on the water. As far as fresh water sailing goes, there's a salt water addon tank for lake cruising. I'm only inquiring about the Lectasan head. It's not a requirement carved in stone. I want to know if anybody has done it? As to a Porta Potti with a pump out feature, this is also an interesting option. Even at a couple of bucks a pump out, thats a lot of pump outs before you reach the cost of the Lectrasan. I have looked at the Miami Macs site. I hope to join you guys someday soon. Many moons ago when sailing the bay, I used to listen to the Mac Venture club chatter on the VHF. I sailed by many of your raft ups off Sand key.

M

mrbill2

more head

Hey again bill, you said: "salt water addon tank for lake cruising" hun? not sure I know what that means... Regardless, I strongly suggest you get a portaPottie w/ pump out (MSD). not the letrasan type.... if you dont want to lift out the portapottie and dump it. I just started dumping mine at the ramp bathrooms. I just hold my breath when I open it and start pouring. (a cigar may help) I also just use some liquid lysol and a little bleach in the tank. and the fresh water tank. I think the miami-macs would be perfect for a newbie sailor. cya!

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
I used to put

Vicks on my upper lip...plumbing it for pump out was a much better idea.

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
New to Mac-----

Mrbill2, You assume kind sir. Maybe a soon to be new Mac owner but not new to sailing. I sailed Biscayne bay on a Sunfish, Prindle 16 and Hobie catamarans. I've made the Columbus day regatta just about every year since 1966. I'm just an old fart now who needs every sheet and halyard leading back to the cockpit. The salt water addon feature of the lectron head allows the same chemical reaction as when its in the ocean.

M

mrbill2

Well then....

Maybe you won't like the local club... My limited exposure to a few of the members gives me the impression they are somewhat new to boating... IMHO. very friendly, bunch but many seem a little low on the learning tree... -problems typical of new boaters. ps: I sailed a hobie 16 for about 5 yrs. ran 3 keybiscayne to keylargo races, and currently race in the bbyra, and was 'there' at c-day this year... 1st time in a while on a sailboat... pps: I always wished I had a prindle. So where you gonna launch mostly? (I like bayfront park best) also: look at this link.... http://www.thetford.com/parts_775msd2.cfm this this best way to go... if you dont want to tote it to bathroom.

Oct 26, 2004
Macgregor 26X Denton Co. TX USA
Lectrasan okay

I didn't get an Lectra San although that was my first choice. It was a little large for the compartment in my 26X. (I'm 6'2" and 230 lbs.)I understand from the website that the new M model is smaller yet, perhaps only in head room, but check that carefully. I installed a Raritan II manual, because it had plenty of room on all sides in my 26X. It is fully plumbed with pvc pipe to a 9 gallon tank. Tank has fixtures for both a vacuum pump out on the starboard side for when facilities are available or required, and a Johnson macerator to pump tank contents to the head sink through hull when offshore. I made a hose fitting that allows me to connect that head sink thru hull to my house outside toilet clean out fitting by garden hose so I can pump out the tank while parked in my driveway, which where I usually keep the boat. It as come in handy a few times when staying extended time on large lakes where there are no facilites except camp site toilets or port potties. Drive up, pump out, good to go again.

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
An alternitive?

Night sailor: Sounds like a good compromise. Any chance of seeing how that mod looks with pictures or drawings? Mrbill: I'd be glad and honored to join your organization if and when I become a Mac owner. Anybody who likes sailing is usually good folks. I didn't mean to sound like I was a sailing snob, just to wanted to point out that I'd had some experience. Still have'nt seen any response to the auto pilot question.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Yeah, in the context

of this list, I have to agree with you...but I hear that Captain Bligh was a real *****...good navigator though.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Ok, tiller pilot...

far as I'm concerned there are two reasonable choices...Simrad and...the other one, they keep changing their name so I don't know what to call them...NavTech...maybe... The Simrad looks like the best value. If you are a robo-sailor, you might have to go up a couple of notches to get one that will interface with your GPS. Us more elementary guys (speaking for myself only here) would prefer the basic unit just for the occasional convenience, like taking a leak or getting a beer or reading War and Peace...I've been laying the groundwork for getting one for Christmas...too cheap to buy one myself...we'll see, maybe my girls will come through, if not...I'll just have to spring for one myself.

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
Tiller or wheel?

Dave: Aren't tiller autopilots different and less expensive than wheel autopilots? I'm off to the Simrad site. maybe the other one will pop up.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Buffalo, NY
Yes, they are different...

I keep forgetting there are other boats besides 26Ds...sorry.

Nov 3, 2004
- - Biscayne Bay
Sounds Interesting

Nightsailor, I'm coming to like the idea of a holding tank with a pump out station. Could you possibly post a picture or drawing of how this would look and how it was done. Yours in poopie patter, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.