Leaving the dock

Oct 15, 2022
ODay 28 Friendfield Marina, Georgetown
I am looking forward to the replies to this post. I park port side parallel to the dock facing downstream and downwind with the prevailing wind. I have no boat ahead of me and a houseboat behind. I have about three boat widths to turn the boat around and two rows of docks that I can back into or out of. I am looking for suggestions to bring the bow upwind and up current or would turning the boat around and backing into my slip be a better option. This is a new marina for us and a new set of challenges. We are less than a year into our sailboating. Thanks for any suggestions. We are on YouTube under Zip Tie Sailing and there is a short that shows our docking situation. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
In my experience, it’s always easier to control both speed and direction when facing upwind and/or into the current when docking.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's link to a well know series on docking techniques.

I think you should take the time to go through the 90 minute seminar. A number of solutions for your challenge will arise out of your becoming familiar with the tools you have at hand... prop walk, doubled spring lines, fender placement, bow out vx. stern out strategies.... and on and on. There is a topic key at the bottom of the screen if you want to go right to some potential strategies.

In your case, you have convenient vacant slips to act as a "turning wye". To me that would be the most logical and simple solution... But you may find yourself in another place that has no such luxury so it is important to understand how all the aforementioned aides can help you in docking or mooring.
In my case, years ago I had a downwind slip that was a new experience for me. I had trouble getting the boat turned before the wind would catch the bow and push it toward the neighboring boats. I tried doubling the spring lines, a crew with a boathook standing watch on the foredeck and a few other solutions until it dawned on me that I was starting my backward turn too quickly, not leaving enough fairway room for the boat to turn before the wind caught it... So... I simply started backing all the way across the fairway,( the headwind wasn't going to let me hit the upwind boats). With adequate steerage and help from the prop walk, I could turn the bow around in the right direction with plenty of room left in the fairway. Simple as that.... but it was petrifying until I figured it out.

So, go through the seminar then, learn how things interact, grab a few slips of paper and sketch out a couple of alternative plans using doubled spring lines, prob walk, etc. good luck.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I owned an O'28 for 19 yrs. With the OEM prop there is significant prop walk astern. Recognized early on that there was very good command going ahead and after I got water over the rudder, astern was very manageable. So I practiced, practiced and practiced.. I would back into places that I didn't need to. There is a sweet spot on the O'28 rudder. Just enough headway astern gives you great steer ability.. Too much and the rudder will hard over and chaos will loom.

There is no substitute for practicing and learning what to expect under different conditions. Our club is in a harbor/river estuary. That means tides, river current, changing wind pattern and wakes.. Lots of fun. Nothing like the pride you feel when you overcome all of the above to land perfectly on the dock with your contemporaries watching...

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
If I didn't feel like I could swing safely I would back out the fairway till I had room to turn.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
At slow speeds, the boat will want to feather with bow pointing downwind and down current. Until there is enough headway to overcome the force of the wind and current it will be impossible to turn around. Your best option will be to back out until you reach an area large enough to turn around in.

A maneuver you will need to learn is "back and fill." This maneuver will allow you to rotate the boat 360° in place. Go to a calm area. Stop the boat and put the wheel hard over to starboard (tiller to port), put the boat in forward until it starts to move forward, then put it in reverse, repeat. In forward the bow will start to turn to the right and when it is put in reverse the bow will continue to turn to the right. By working back and forth the boat will turn a complete circle because of the prop wash and rudder angle. With practice you will be able to over come a light adverse current or wind.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
I'm thinking from your video, you could run a doubled aka slip spring line off your bow, stern out, aka power gently forward against said spring with wheel to port to swing your stern out, and
1) just back out like others have said or
2) keep going stern out until you are nearly turned around, then drop the spring and go just a little back to straighten up and go out forward. Let's call it a bow pirouette.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Being. YouTuber, I figure you will appreciate videos of "How TO".
BoatUS has some good ideas that apply to power boats and sail boats. The use of spring lines is an important skill for all boat owners.

The starting image could almost be your boat situation.
1687105609387.png

Oct 15, 2022
In my experience, it’s always easier to control both speed and direction when facing upwind and/or into the current when docking.
Thank you Don. We are planning on a lot of trial and error in the next few months. I appreciate any comments to help me stay away from a bad choice.

Oct 15, 2022
Here's link to a well know series on docking techniques.

I think you should take the time to go through the 90 minute seminar. A number of solutions for your challenge will arise out of your becoming familiar with the tools you have at hand... prop walk, doubled spring lines, fender placement, bow out vx. stern out strategies.... and on and on. There is a topic key at the bottom of the screen if you want to go right to some potential strategies.

In your case, you have convenient vacant slips to act as a "turning wye". To me that would be the most logical and simple solution... But you may find yourself in another place that has no such luxury so it is important to understand how all the aforementioned aides can help you in docking or mooring.
In my case, years ago I had a downwind slip that was a new experience for me. I had trouble getting the boat turned before the wind would catch the bow and push it toward the neighboring boats. I tried doubling the spring lines, a crew with a boathook standing watch on the foredeck and a few other solutions until it dawned on me that I was starting my backward turn too quickly, not leaving enough fairway room for the boat to turn before the wind caught it... So... I simply started backing all the way across the fairway,( the headwind wasn't going to let me hit the upwind boats). With adequate steerage and help from the prop walk, I could turn the bow around in the right direction with plenty of room left in the fairway. Simple as that.... but it was petrifying until I figured it out.

So, go through the seminar then, learn how things interact, grab a few slips of paper and sketch out a couple of alternative plans using doubled spring lines, prob walk, etc. good luck.
Thank you Joe. This is just what I was looking for. There is too much knowledge on this forum not to take advantage of it and prevent a major mistake. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Oct 15, 2022
I owned an O'28 for 19 yrs. With the OEM prop there is significant prop walk astern. Recognized early on that there was very good command going ahead and after I got water over the rudder, astern was very manageable. So I practiced, practiced and practiced.. I would back into places that I didn't need to. There is a sweet spot on the O'28 rudder. Just enough headway astern gives you great steer ability.. Too much and the rudder will hard over and chaos will loom.

There is no substitute for practicing and learning what to expect under different conditions. Our club is in a harbor/river estuary. That means tides, river current, changing wind pattern and wakes.. Lots of fun. Nothing like the pride you feel when you overcome all of the above to land perfectly on the dock with your contemporaries watching...
Thank you for the reply. We will start our practicing next week. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and tips. Just what I was looking for.

Oct 15, 2022
At slow speeds, the boat will want to feather with bow pointing downwind and down current. Until there is enough headway to overcome the force of the wind and current it will be impossible to turn around. Your best option will be to back out until you reach an area large enough to turn around in.

A maneuver you will need to learn is "back and fill." This maneuver will allow you to rotate the boat 360° in place. Go to a calm area. Stop the boat and put the wheel hard over to starboard (tiller to port), put the boat in forward until it starts to move forward, then put it in reverse, repeat. In forward the bow will start to turn to the right and when it is put in reverse the bow will continue to turn to the right. By working back and forth the boat will turn a complete circle because of the prop wash and rudder angle. With practice you will be able to over come a light adverse current or wind.
Just the type of advice I was looking for! Our practice starts next week and we will definitely work on this one out in the river.

Oct 15, 2022
I'm thinking from your video, you could run a doubled aka slip spring line off your bow, stern out, aka power gently forward against said spring with wheel to port to swing your stern out, and
1) just back out like others have said or
2) keep going stern out until you are nearly turned around, then drop the spring and go just a little back to straighten up and go out forward. Let's call it a bow pirouette.
Another great piece of advice! I will give the pirouette a try.

Oct 15, 2022
Being. YouTuber, I figure you will appreciate videos of "How TO".
BoatUS has some good ideas that apply to power boats and sail boats. The use of spring lines is an important skill for all boat owners.

The starting image could almost be your boat situation.
View attachment 216956

You nailed it! We are looking forward to using our lines and watching the results. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Another great piece of advice! I will give the pirouette a try.
Do a bit of research on the "standing turn" (back & fill or pirouette) as well as the concepts of prop walk & prop wash.. The maneuver is an essential skill that needs to be mastered. Keep in mind that the standing turn is better accomplished in a clockwise manner, if you have a right hand prop. Once you get it down, you can turn / rotate the boat on it's length. Prop walk & prop wash can help you set up for docking & undocking when minor adjustments are necessary in close quarters. Also need a thorough understanding of fore & aft spring lines run to a midship cleat. After becoming familiar with these concepts, recognize the effects of wind & current as well as the position & constraints of your dock to determine the techniques necessary to confidently dock & undock. I realize that this advice is not specific to your dock; however, you need to study & practice this stuff so that when you visit a transient dock, fuel dock, etc., you can handle the boat without incident. There are multiple sources for this information on You Tube, USPower Squadron site, Nautic Ed, ASA site, etc. After getting a handle on these techniques you will become more comfortable in handling your boat with minimal stress.:cool:

• Helpful