Leaving boat unattended for a week near Ft. Lauderdale

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I am in need of recommendations. In the first week of October, we will be moving the boat from near St. Aug, FL to some point farther south. I'd like to get to at least Ft. Lauderdale before we board a cruiseship for 8 days late in the month. While we are on the cruiseship, the boat will be unattended for about 9 days. I'm currently thinking I want a marina, though I would consider a mooring ball.

Hurricane season will be winding down, though that is still a factor. Once we are back, we will continue towards the keys, so points south of Lauderdale are workable as well. We will most likely be staying on the ICW, which will limit progress in some sections, due to bridges. What suggestions do you have for places to leave the boat?

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I would recommend a marina. Hurricane season is cranked up in mid October, not winding down and you don't know the reliability of an untested mooring.
Just my 2 cents as a Florida boat owner.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Cooley's Landing is remarkably cheap. It is a long tricky ride up the river but that means good protection.

Or search for a house on a canal. Lots of that available

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Both Bahia Mar and Pier 66 are excellent marinas easily accessed, if not a bit dear. At least you'd be able to hire someone who will come well recommended to watch the boat and deal with any weather that might pop up, air the boat out and check that the bilge pump is working.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Riviera Beach or maybe Palm Beach both have municipal marinas? They are clearly not Bahia Mar or Pier 66 level services -- but then you'd pay less too :^))).

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Palm Beach town docks are good quality, but may not have availability. Riviera Beach is a noticeable step down in a number of ways.

Miami may have some options. Dinner Key Marina is one option for a slip. A friend of mine has kept an Oceanis there for several years. Coconut Grove Sailing Club is an option for a mooring. They put in a whole new field of helical moorings just a few years ago. I expect that they should still be in good condition.

There is probably stuff right in Lauderdale too, but I just don't know the immediate area well. I never tie up there. A woman that I picked up in a Lauderdale bar one night took me back to her 80-ish foot trawler that was on a transient dock in that area, but I don't remember exactly where it was.

While you are cruising down the ICW in north Florida, keep an eye out for Clorox bottles or similar. The locals often mark the actual edges of the channel in areas where the official nuns & cans don't quite put you in the right spot.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
All good suggestions above. My comment addresses the bridge issue on your trip South to the Keys. The lowest bridge clearance is that of Tuttle bridge in Miami, at 56'. If you're taking the Hunter 31 down you have no problem.
Have a nice cruise both on the cruise ship and on your boat.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Looks like we will try to get as far south as Dinner Key, and pick up a mooring ball. Ft Lauderdale is tough because of the boat show - it's an exact overlap with our schedule. DK has 225 balls on a first come, first served basis, so there should be no problem. It also puts us that much closer to the Keys when we return.

Thanks for the responses everyone.