leave h260 in the water over winter

gudiss

Jul 19, 2016
hunter h260 ocean city nj
hi all, i was planning on keeping my 02 h260 in the water over the winter. i plan on pumping out the ballast tank and i have a bubbler at my dock if needed. does anyone have experience with this and are their any issues i should be concerned with? appreciate your thoughts-

Jun 5, 2013
Hunter 23 St petersburg
Where in the Nation are you located? Bubblers work but need to be inspected often as the impeller can get clogged with debris and stop working. Asuming winterizing is not an issue, taking the sails will also be a good practice. Also depending on snowfall In your geographical location you could rig a pitched cover (Or shrink wrap - think A-frame) for the cockpit to minimize maintenance and inspections during and after snow/ice events.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Everything reefing said plus I'd remove the O.B. and take it home, I would pump a little antifreeze through the galley and head sinks. I actually forgot to do this one season and had to replace the galley pump. I would pull a little antifreeze though the bilge pump.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
I wouldn’t leave any of the water ballast boats in for winter if you often receive prolonged or deep freezing temperatures. (As is the case where I live) The occasional, short cold snap is a different condition. The seal to the ballast tank is often not perfect and often over time allows the tank to fill.

While the bubbler will prevent the water outside the boat from freezing as long as its functioning and not too cold, it will not likely prevent water in the ballast tank from freezing.

As observed in an earlier post the second issue with the water ballast boats is that they are not overly stable with the ballast tank empty.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Also, the factory manual points out that the balsa core in the hulls will tend to insulate the water ballast tank from the surrounding water, making the ballast water even more susceptible to freezing when the air temperature in the cabin is low enough for long enough.

Attachments