Leather Wheel Cover

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
Hi All,

Wanting to install a leather wheel cover on my Catalina C-30 (28" helm).

I'd like to hear some feedback on suede, and smooth leather covers.

Thanks!

EJ

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I put on the grey suede 12-15 years ago. Other than patches where I tied a bungy to keep the wheel from rotating and the brake squeaking at anchor, the cover is holding up great. It doesn't show much dirt, but I do keep my hands clean and I do wash the cover once per year. I can't speak for the smooth leather, but I wonder if it would be too slippery when wet?

Apr 28, 2005
Oday 302 Lake Perry, KS
I second the grey suede.
Put it on 10 years ago and it's held up well. I do need to wash it. But really haven't touched it in ten years (do keep the wheel covered when not sailing). Good grip with the suede.
Big tip: if you don't sew and the Admiral does....get the Admiral to do the stitching. My wife did a great job on it- much better than if I'd done it.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Speaking of sewing- I did my wheel (42", a bit larger than yours) over the winter on about 3-4 evenings. The sewing is hard on your fingers and after an hour or so I took a break until the next night. It is not difficult, just a bit tedious. It is easy to have the job turn out perfect.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
It is a running lock stitch. Here is a picture of the patch I installed over a worn spot in my cover. Both the cover and the patch use the same type of stitching.
2013_0506_101615.JPG

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Put one on 7 years ago and still holding up beautifully. Grey suede. Gave it to wife for xmas so she put it together........

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
FWIW, A friend has the type of covering that is molded on, maybe a hard rubber. He likes it, and when my 10-year-old cover needs replacement, that's what I'll do. It comes in colors, you'd probably see their ad in the back ad section of sailing mags.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Our boat came with a suede cover installed by a previous owner. I love it--and if I were ever to move to a different boat (unlikely!) that had a bare wheel, I'd have to sew one on just like it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
My 2003 42" Whitlock wheel was delivered with smooth black leather. This past year the polyester stitching finally came apart. I brought the wheel home, watched the BoatLeather.com video and took Rich's approach, one 1/8 circumference section each evening - restitching the original leather. Use gloves. The running lock stitch is easy and the process gets easier as you go. You want nice tight stitches. After I was done I finished the job off with a coat of leather dye and painted on some Snow Seal leather treatment. The wheel looks like new. I like the smooth black leather because it is easy to keep clean.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My Beneteau 343 has a brown smooth leather covering with baseball stich. I suspect it may also have a thin padding under the leather. I like the smooth texture as it is comfortable and easy to clean. I usually treat it with Harley Davidson brand leather wax / treatment; It beads water and keeps the leather soft. I really need to make a sunbrella cover to cover the entire helm to keep the wheel cover and instruments from direct exposure to the elements.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Makes me wish for the old fashioned wooden wheel look. May not be practical, cheap or easy to maintain but it sure looks great. If anyone has any leads on one, I'll be happy to trade my ubiquitous steel wheel in a heartbeat.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Makes me wish for the old fashioned wooden wheel look. May not be practical, cheap or easy to maintain but it sure looks great. If anyone has any leads on one, I'll be happy to trade my ubiquitous steel wheel in a heartbeat.
it takes much more craftsmanship to make a really good ships wheel as it does to make a well balanced roulette wheel

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish