Learn me about mooring lines!

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
(Reposted as requested)

Maine,

I will be leaving the dock and mooring for the first time next season with a new to me 35 foot boat. I have read several of your posts and articles on the subject on various sites regarding mooring pendants along with other articles on the subject.

My conclusion is that two 3/4 inch pendants of 20 feet each should do the trick. Am I correct with this assumption? I am 45 minutes from the boat, so aside from large storms with predicted paths, I might not be able to get to the boat in time to add heavier lines if heavy weather hits.

Also, it seems that there are many polyester covered nylon pendants from New England, Yale, Hamilton, etc? Are there any advantages to any particular brand?

You also mentioned lacing pendants together. Can you tell me more about how it's done?

Also, does one need to secure the loops around the cleats somehow? The skipper whose boat I race on usually ties the line of the pickup stick around the cleat.

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
If you are going to use 20' lines for spring lines, I think that is too short.

Feb 3, 2012
Corbin 39 Pilothouse Cutter Lyme, CT
(Reposted as requested) Maine, I will be leaving the dock and mooring for the first time next season with a new to me 35 foot boat. I have read several of your posts and articles on the subject on various sites regarding mooring pendants along with other articles on the subject. My conclusion is that two 3/4 inch pendants of 20 feet each should do the trick. Am I correct with this assumption? I am 45 minutes from the boat, so aside from large storms with predicted paths, I might not be able to get to the boat in time to add heavier lines if heavy weather hits. Also, it seems that there are many polyester covered nylon pendants from New England, Yale, Hamilton, etc? Are there any advantages to any particular brand? You also mentioned lacing pendants together. Can you tell me more about how it's done? Also, does one need to secure the loops around the cleats somehow? The skipper whose boat I race on usually ties the line of the pickup stick around the cleat.
Some good mooring info in this film..

http://tour.offcenterharbor.com/ham...um=Hamilton&utm_campaign=Moorings Splash Link

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
a mooring pendent is different than dock lines... very different.

what do you actually want?..

for dock lines on a 35ft boat, you almost need (2) 15ft lines, bow and stern and (2) 24ft lines as springs.... a few feet longer on the springs wont hurt a thing, cuz you never know where the cleats are located on some docks you may visit.

in a fairly protected marina, 1/2" diameter is ok, but for a bit rougher conditions, 5/8 would be better.

personally I like 1/2" double braid dock lines with snubbers because when docked somewhere in rough conditions you never feel the boat jerk against the dock lines because all the snapping/jerking stress is removed from it....

A mooring pendent is a relatively short heavy line going from the boat cleat to a mooring ball in an anchorage or rodeway.... 3/4 to 1 inch diameter, 10-15ft long... with an eye on one end and a strong snap hook or just a thimbled eye on the other....

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
(Reposted as requested)

Maine,

I will be leaving the dock and mooring for the first time next season with a new to me 35 foot boat. I have read several of your posts and articles on the subject on various sites regarding mooring pendants along with other articles on the subject.

My conclusion is that two 3/4 inch pendants of 20 feet each should do the trick. Am I correct with this assumption? I am 45 minutes from the boat, so aside from large storms with predicted paths, I might not be able to get to the boat in time to add heavier lines if heavy weather hits.

Also, it seems that there are many polyester covered nylon pendants from New England, Yale, Hamilton, etc? Are there any advantages to any particular brand?

You also mentioned lacing pendants together. Can you tell me more about how it's done?

Also, does one need to secure the loops around the cleats somehow? The skipper whose boat I race on usually ties the line of the pickup stick around the cleat.
Thanks for prompting me to get off my butt and finish an article I've had in mind for about 8 years....

I will eventually copy it over to this forum but don't have time today.. This should answer the questions...

Mooring Pendants Thoughts & Musings

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Thanks for prompting me to get off my butt and finish an article I've had in mind for about 8 years....

I will eventually copy it over to this forum but don't have time today.. This should answer the questions...

Mooring Pendants Thoughts & Musings
Great article!
Thank you!

Any thoughts on sizing maxi-moor lines? If one uses your "different lengths" method, then one is only relying on the strength of a single pendant at anyone time. The chart below is from the yale cordage website.

1" for a 35' boat seems alot, no?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
You buy the biggest pendant that will fit through your chocks and around your cleats.

It is NOT about breaking strength it is about the duration you can survive before a chafe failure. The larger the pendant the longer it takes to chafe through. I would use 7/8 or 1"...

Most of these pendants will tear your deck apart or rip your cleat out before they break. In all my years I have never seen a properly sized pendant "break" but all of them can chafe and break...

The Yale guidance takes the potential for chafe into account in their sizing...