Leaky AMF Puffer

Aug 24, 2020
AMF Puffer Ranier, MN
HI - a friend recently bought an AMF Puffer. After sailing a few hours - perhaps only two - she was sluggish so we hauled it out and quite a bit of water drained out. We had installed a new, tight fitting plug aft before sailing.

Where does one start looking for the leak? And assuming we find them, what are some repair options?

Thanks kindly!

Brian

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Does it have bailers? Centerboard or dagger board? It sounds like you had water between the hull and the liner (The interior you see). Water can seep in there from the bottom of the cockpit thru cracks, or holes for fasteners or whatever. This used to happen with my Bandit 15. Not usually while sailing. But if it rained a lot I could find the boat sunk when I came to go sailing.

May 22, 2020
Pearson 303 Casco Bay
I have seen two of these boats with leaks in the daggerboard trunk that allowed water to get between the hull and the liner. When the boats were removed from the water, it was fairly clear where the leaks were. In my case, you could reach into the slot from the outside of the hull and there was a seam not so far in that was the source of the problem.

Apr 4, 2021
AMF Puffer Backyard
HI - a friend recently bought an AMF Puffer. After sailing a few hours - perhaps only two - she was sluggish so we hauled it out and quite a bit of water drained out. We had installed a new, tight fitting plug aft before sailing.

Where does one start looking for the leak? And assuming we find them, what are some repair options?

Thanks kindly!

Brian
I am in the same "boat", I have put my boat in the water and find it takes on water and I suspect that it taking it around the center or dagger board placement. Has anyone had any luck correcting a issue like this and if you have what did you do? Also anyone had any luck finding mast for AMF Puffer?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For those of us who don't know, what material is the Puffer made from.

May 7, 2021
amf puffer elephant butte
For those of us who don't know, what material is the Puffer made from.
Fiberglass, and yes, the centerboard trunk can leak from running aground. Hard to see in there so I just sealed it all around with epoxy