leaking shrouds...

M

Member 131497

H! everyone...
I have adopted a 1976 B24 and in the process of bring it back to looking good and confy.
BUT...theres a mayor problem with the way the shrouds were design for this boats. Im sure some other owners have faced this before and Im in the need of solid advice.theres a little damage from water but nothing that cant be corrected...ONCE the leaking problem is...
waiting to hear from you guys...I love this boat...I know you guys(gals)also love yours...
fair winds...to all.
ALSO..... VERY IMPORTANT!!!
IM LOOKING FOR A STERN RAIL
USED OR NEW.... any knowledge of such welcome...
CR

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
I am not familiar with your boat but the shrouds to chain plate connections are vulnerable to leaks. Are you are referring to leaking into deck area of the chain plates as the damage? If there are no visible cracks on the deck around the area I suspect the water damage may have migrated from another area, perhaps a porthole nearby!

M

Member 131497

Hi Charlie
Nope the water is going down thruvthe chainplates hole even knowing that it has some kind of sealant that has been there for a while. I noticed when i washed the whole deck since the boat was in storage and was dirty. Anyway to prevent this leakage?.. 0I dontthink that changing the sealabt for fresh 5200 will remedy that by itself.
any suggestions, remedies...?
C

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
You need to be certain the chainplates are bolted securely to the bulkhead, and there is no movement when under load. If the bulkhead is weak or rotten; the chainplates can pull out.

When you are sure the chainplates are solid; clean out the old sealant and replace with new. It shouldn't leak.

M

Member 131497

ForumRunner_20150714_081318.jpg

as you can see the old caulk was removed but inside seems to be some soft wood. Down below the bulkhead is solid, and theres no movement. The chainplates are well attached. Im going to cut the deck around the chainplates to inspect and reinforce as need it. What should I use to refill (material)
any void in there?
thx very much
C

Attachments

Jul 4, 2011
Cal 33 ft. MKII Clayton, N.Y. St. Lawrence Rvr
If the area of moisture saturated wood is not very large after you dig it out, you may be able to fill it with West Epoxy System using their Colloidal filler I think 406 or 403 but read the instructions. A slow cure is easier to work with if you have the weather and time.