Leaking Quadrant cover

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 30 Rochester, NY
Hello all-

I have a 1987 MKII with the quadrant access hatch behind the wheel. When I purchased the boat 4 years ago the original hatch was rotted and last year I built a replacement from starboard. The fit is good, but in a heavy rain water does still get in and collects several inches. There is a lip where I could make a gasket on the port and starboard edges, but forward the board just slips under the binnacle, with no lip. And aft there is no base support, so no where for a gasket to make a seal. I am thinking the best way to seal this is with a bead of silicone, which can be peeled away easily if I need access.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a better (easy) solution? Why didn’t Catalina put a drain in this space?

Thanks!

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
GF
I have an 84 so not familiar with the particulars of the cover. But could you glass or 5200 on a lip or cleat on which you could put a gasket? I recall that this issue has been discussed on the IC30A forum -- why not post the question on the "official" forum w/1,600 experts (owners)? https://groups.io/g/Catalina30

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Oh, PS - I believe that the mk-II has a "radial wheel," not a quadrant drive.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The compartment is not intended to be sealed. There is a drain hole that plugs up and needs to be cleared from time to time.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Hayden- I can't see a drain from above or below. Can you tell me where it is and to where it drains?

Apr 5, 2009
It gets buried in the mud. The easiest way to find it is to run a small rod into it through the transom. Look at the stern and figure out where all of the thru-hulls go.

Jac123

Apr 19, 2019
Catalina 30 Forked River
Just had the same problem. My drain was on the starboard side of the engine exhaust. Not sure if it was the best way but I took a household snake and inserted it up into the drain from the outside. It cleared it for now.

Jan 24, 2019
Catalina C30 Cape Coral
Yep. Had the same issue. Cleaned out the years of accumulated sand, etc.. and then held a running water hose to the external drain on the starboard side of the transom and blew out the crap that was in the drain.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Jac123 and tmorrow- Thanks for the specifics. I was able to identify the drain from below, behind the quarterberth access. The origination is not accessible without removing the steering radial. The transom exit is not reachable from the cockpit (boat is in the water). When you cleared it from the transom was the boat out of the water? Did you go down the swim ladder? Right now the water temp is 43 degrees so looks like I may have to put this project off.

Apr 5, 2009
You can back into your slip or if you are a side-tie, find an empty slip and back in for a few minutes to clear the line.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
On my 93 C30, the aft edge of the radial wheel is about 1/4" to 1/2" from the rear wall of the radial wheel well. The drain hole is centered port to starboard directly under this space, just forward of the rear wall.
I use a long zip tie to poke through from above the hole. I hesitate using anything harder as the hose is probably 26 years old and I hope it last til it's 40.

I've tried back flushing from the transom thru hull but found that is a short term solution. Leaves, trash, old tape and whatever else that found its way into the well will clog the hole again. I spent time on my stomach reaching into the corners of the well and under the radial wheel pulling out all kinds of crud. Then used my shop vac to clean it out. Dirt and mud still finds its way in so I plan to flush it out again when next time I'm washing the boat.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Hayden- That's close to what I came up with today. Can't back into my slip but plan to back into the work slip at YC and get at it from there. Gonna make good use of the extreme level in Lake Ontario.

Ward- I will try again tomorrow to access the opening using a long zip tie. Good idea.

gfroch

Jun 5, 2004
Thanks for the tips. I was able to identify the drain from below and then clear it (ish) from above using a coat hanger. When we get through dealing with flooding on Lake Ontario I'll have more time to address it. I have more water in another spot and could use the valuable insight of this board. I'll start a new thread. Thanks again.