Leaking Plexiglass Companionway

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edmund Shanahan

I've just completed the delivery trip from Charleston, SC to Yorktown, VA for our 89 Hunter 40. It was a good learning experience on handling the new boat. My first concern on the list is water leakage around the sliding plexiglass companionway hatch. I knew there was a leak, which over the years has ruined the wood supporting the steps, the engine top cover, and the rear and side bulkhead supporting the engine access area. All has to be replaced. But before that, I need to stop the water. During many rain storms on the trip, I could not believe the amount of water that would lay on top of the hatch and roll off the edge right under the pleiglass to drip inside from the aluminum channel. With a little wind creating a heel, the water built up along one side even worse. Water even poured in from the forward edge of the hatch when the wind blew the rain from aft. Has anyone experienced this and solved it? Going through the website a month ago, I found a fix it solution for the aluminum hatchboard channel, which I was hoping would be my problem, but after this trip I know I have more than that to blame.

L

Larry Boone

My wife and I sail a 1989 Hunter 40. We have a relatively small dodger. So far no leaks around the hatch even when washing the boat with a hose. We have only owned the boat two years but there is no discoloration on the wood. This does not help you identify where your leak is but may indicate that the problem can be corrected.

J

John

same problem

When I bought my 40 in 1998 it had obviously had a leak at the companionway slide also. The sole at the base of the ladder on the starboard side is stained. It was raining when i first looked at the boat and was leaking then. SInce I have brought the boat to its homeport I have only seen a slight leak in the same area once. I have not yet determined how it is leaking or exactly where it is leeaking from. Although the leak has apperantly stopped for no reason, I cant help believe it will start again and would like to know what you find.

S

Stephen Vosko

Get a Dodger

My '86 has never leaked there to any extent even in tropical downpours. I have notice a little accumulation in the aluminum frame when I wash the boat but not a lot. The reason has to be the dodger keeping the area protected and cleaner. It actually makes a nice expanded companionway at deck level out of the sun and weather. Great for working the halyards and vang. It also protects the cockpit from some spray. Mine can be connected to the bimini in port with 2 canvas flaps to cover the whole cockpit.

T

Terrence Blake

Same Problem -- Fixed

I had the same problem on my 1985 H40. There are small drain holes at the end under the cap rail (facing aft) that get plugged with dirt. Use a small pipe cleaner. Water also drips in around the corners. Put a little sealent under the end of the alum channel, but do not block the channel!

Status
Not open for further replies.