leaking pedestal

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi folks
i purchased a 272le in oct. been working on it and it's looking pretty good.
what I noticed in fall before shrink wrap was water pouring down inside the pedestal (more steady drip) when it was raining.
about a week ago I blocked the cockpit drain and filled to above all the fasteners for the wheel and let it sit a day Not a drop.
Today I sprayed a hose on the wheel and the water came in just like before.
can't figure out where? Anyone run into this problem before and if so what did one do? Appreciate any advice.

thanks Paul

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I've always assumed our wheel leak was the large bolts holding it down but caulking them did not do a thing....Perhaps you are on to something...could be the instrument housing(s), the compass, any other ideas...we have pulled the carpet from the ceiling of the quarter berth (cockpit floor) because it was always damp...any other ideas? Pat

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
Very interesting problem. Give Edison a call. They have been very helpful for me in the past .

I do have a few thing to contribute:

Think twice before you attempt to remove the pedestal from the cockpit floor. The bolts are aluminum and are likely badly corroded and will break of when torqued .
I believe my pedestal was bonded with 5200 or equivalent at the factory. I had no luck removing it when I rebuilt my boat. I came to the conclusion that removing it would cause more damage and trouble than just working around it.

Jul 28, 2012
Catalina 27 Annapolis
While installing my autopilot I also noticed a leak from my Edson pedestal.

I ended up loosening the four bolts holding it down and rebedding the base with (lots) of LifeCaulk

Did each bolt too. The bolts were carriage bolts with no slot for a screw driver so getting them sufficiently torqued was difficult

Need to check but believe its dry now

Josh