Leaking Mastbase on 83 Oday 28 - Advice requested

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
cool solution. We had rotten wood in our "shelf", so cut open and then rebuilt with G-10 in place of the plywood, turned out rock solid. I think it is bridged to avoid undue pressure on the encapsulated keel. At least on ours, as that puts the pressure on the turn of the bilge, a strong anchor point.

Also noted you have a different mast section, our is Kenyon.

Myauss

Oct 9, 2016
o'day 30 Georgetown
Fantastic solution. I will be doing spartite in the spring. So much to do so little time :)

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Don't tighten your standing rigging to a percentage of its breaking strength. This isn't necessary and puts a great deal of stress on the whole rig. There are plenty of threads on adjusting the standing rigging of an O'Day 28 but they all boil down to the mast being centered and the stays adjusted so there is no slack in the leeward stays when sailing.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
It looks like you poured the Spartite above the top of the mast deck collar - are you not using the mast pin any longer? I am looking at Spartite for your 34 this spring and have been trying to decide how high to pour it.

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Right, the instruction suggestion was to wrap a little wall with tape slightly higher than the deck plate collar so when you pour the epoxy it does not allow water to collect in a recess, I highly suggest this product...I didn't use the vasolin but I'm hindsight I should have....

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Euphoria, I like your system to support the mast base but Apex has a point to consider. The 34 also has the base attached to a shelf glassed to bilge turn. As far as I can tell the fiberglass keel stub floor is only about 3/4 of an inch thick. Who knows what the exact layup schedule was. It might make sense to get the opinion of an expert as to the forces on the keel floor. I hate neigh sayers and please forgive me if I sound like one but I would hate to see your keel stub damaged. That said your system looks very well engineered. Maybe more glass could be added to the support shelf?