Leaking Head-To-Hose Connection

Oct 21, 2021
Morris 32 Hamilton Harbour
Hi, new member here, I've just completed installation of a Groco Model K, with new hoses. In testing the installation, I find there is a persistent leak at the head-to-hose exit connection. I have tried tightening the connection but the leak persisted. Based on Peggie Hall's advice, (seen on another thread) I backed off on the tightness to protect the washer, and am now looking for ideas on how to remedy the problem.

FYI the Model K connection is straight, i.e. a flanged 1 1/2" bronze fitting/hose barb is fastened to the mating flange on the head. There are 2 bolts, at 9:00 and 3:00 on the clock face that are used to make the connection. While this arrangement is fine in securing the connection against any horizontal bending force, I wonder whether it is adequate to do the same for any vertical bending force. Ideally the connection would feature 3 bolts that would enable the clamping compression to be distributed around the circumference of the flanges. However, the 2-bolt design has been around for decades, so presumably it has been adequate.

Also FYI, I used water at near-boiling temperature to enable hose-to-barb fitting. I've since read that this temperature may be too extreme, but everything is in place so we'll see about that.

Thanks for any advice.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I suspect you may have to replace the rubber gasket 'cuz if the over-tightened bolts have been in place for longer than about a day, the rubber develops a permanent pucker that creates a permanent leak.

Another possibility: if there's any side-side stress on the hose as it exits the toilet (iow, you prob'ly should have used a 90 or a 45 instead of a straight discharge fitting), that'll create a leak that can only be stopped by replacing the fitting.

If none of the above is reason for your leak, send me a PM that includes your email address so we can discuss what's needed.

The model K is a great toilet, btw!

--Peggie

Apr 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS Lake City Marina
Hi, new member here, I've just completed installation of a Groco Model K, with new hoses. In testing the installation, I find there is a persistent leak at the head-to-hose exit connection. I have tried tightening the connection but the leak persisted. Based on Peggie Hall's advice, (seen on another thread) I backed off on the tightness to protect the washer, and am now looking for ideas on how to remedy the problem.

FYI the Model K connection is straight, i.e. a flanged 1 1/2" bronze fitting/hose barb is fastened to the mating flange on the head. There are 2 bolts, at 9:00 and 3:00 on the clock face that are used to make the connection. While this arrangement is fine in securing the connection against any horizontal bending force, I wonder whether it is adequate to do the same for any vertical bending force. Ideally the connection would feature 3 bolts that would enable the clamping compression to be distributed around the circumference of the flanges. However, the 2-bolt design has been around for decades, so presumably it has been adequate.

Also FYI, I used water at near-boiling temperature to enable hose-to-barb fitting. I've since read that this temperature may be too extreme, but everything is in place so we'll see about that.

Thanks for any advice.
I went down this rabbit hole 2 yrs ago, had a leak behind the pump area on a Groco and I couldn't understand where it was coming from.I took the toilet apart 3 or 4 times and it still leaked.After the 4th time I carefully looked over the bronze base and on the right side of the base where there is a drilled and tapped hole I noticed the tap had gone through and had a small hole in the base. This allowed water to leak out when pumped.Since this is behind the toilet you couldn't see where it was coming out.Groco had me send the base in and they sent me a new base and then it didn't leak. This should have been caught in quality control. Make sure the base tapped holes haven't gone through the bronze base.

Oct 21, 2021
Morris 32 Hamilton Harbour
Thanks Peggie and Barnstormer. The leak is beneath the exit connection (the proof is in the puddle), so it's either the flange as described or the bronze hose barb (unlikely, secured with 2 clamps).

Peggie, I will send a PM as suggested. I have a few pictures and a sketch that I can forward. No rush ... I'm getting hauled out tomorrow.

And I'll report back here with any new insights / results.