Leaking hatches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2011
Hi all I've got a salon hatch that is leaking. I think the seal needs to be replaced. I have read the S2 letter and it appears I have S2 hatches since we lack the metal framing on the lid.

Is there a source for this gasket anywhere online? I have trouble blindly faxing a credit card number and address. There is little accountability on the receiving end.

In the mean time I'm trying to come up with ideas to manage the problem until we can get the new material shipped and installed.

Thanks!
SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Hey SC, I think this is just 3/8 cord flexible stuff of some kind. Maybe a little smaller. It's probably flat by now as mine is. I'm surprised you have leaks as it is double gasketed. The hatch dogs pretty much control how much pressure is put on the gasket. I'd check three things, 1) being corded material, are there gaps where the ends are? And do they line up with each other? and 2) in the gasket well, there are drains to the outside to the top deck. Are the drain holes clear and area clean? and, 3) is the hatch warped? Warped probably not likely as it's 3/4" acrylic. Let us know if you find something. I would think posting in the general forum might widen the search.

Sep 6, 2011
Hey SC, I think this is just 3/8 cord flexible stuff of some kind. Maybe a little smaller. It's probably flat by now as mine is. I'm surprised you have leaks as it is double gasketed. The hatch dogs pretty much control how much pressure is put on the gasket. I'd check three things, 1) being corded material, are there gaps where the ends are? And do they line up with each other? and 2) in the gasket well, there are drains to the outside to the top deck. Are the drain holes clear and area clean? and, 3) is the hatch warped? Warped probably not likely as it's 3/4" acrylic. Let us know if you find something. I would think posting in the general forum might widen the search.
1 a little but sealed with caulk no change.
2 I will look in the morning. This boat has an obvious history of hatch problems looking at the wood.
3 don't think so as it has been replaced fairly recently by appearance. I will grab a pic tomorrow.

These hatches are quite odd. Most I've had a conversation with say something to the effect of 'what were they thinking?!'
SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Also, unscrew the hinges let the hatch sit on the gaskets. Then see how the hinge fits over the hatch. A shim between the hatch and hinge could help ya

Sep 6, 2011
Thanks Mark. There is a piece of wood about 1/2" or so between the hinge and the hatch. When I get the new gasket material it will be an adventure to replace. Every attempt to stop the leak made it worse.

SC

Sep 6, 2011
As I continue this thought process I finally looked at a graphic on the S2 letter (attached). Are other 11.0a owners hatches designed this way? If so I may have a better understanding why this boat is having issues.

My hatches are a flat piece of lexan with the hinges and hatch dogs shown bedded into what looks like 2 rows of rubber gasket. I have attached a photo from when we looked at the boat. Ignore the right side where you see rigid insulation the PO was using to shield the sun.

View attachment 1

image-1471338729.jpg

The drawn design makes sense to me but the flat does not.
SC

Attachments

Sep 6, 2011
Could someone with an original design S2 hatch post a photo of their hatch from the deck both open and closed? It is starting to look like a PO may have modified the design and if so I'd like to modify it back. I believe there should be a lip of sorts created by the wood that surrounds the interior of the hatch should be tall enough to create a second gasket but in our case is not. There is an easy 1/2-3/4" gap. I'm looking at photos of boats on yachtworld for reference and they sit much higher. Where the top of these hatches is at least 1/8" below the molded fiberglass channel this boat looks closer to level.
(From yachtworld)

image-2439609931.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.
SC

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Could someone with an original design S2 hatch post a photo of their hatch from the deck both open and closed? It is starting to look like a PO may have modified the design and if so I'd like to modify it back. I believe there should be a lip of sorts created by the wood that surrounds the interior of the hatch should be tall enough to create a second gasket but in our case is not. There is an easy 1/2-3/4" gap. I'm looking at photos of boats on yachtworld for reference and they sit much higher. Where the top of these hatches is at least 1/8" below the molded fiberglass channel this boat looks closer to level.
(From yachtworld)

What thickness is the hatch material? Sounds like they may have gone with something thinner.

Sep 6, 2011
I will have to measure it later today but I'd guess 3/4". My concern is more if the design was modified. I am thinking it was but need others to verify. I think the PO tried to replace what was there but maybe didn't get the height right on the inside.
SC

Sep 6, 2011
Thanks Mark if you happen to be near the boat could you take one with the hatch open I'm trying to decipher the frame inside. Yours is also level with the fiberglass channel where these are lower. I'm on the boat tonight so will measure at least the v berth hatch thickness.
SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I just replaced the two hatches a few months ago. Both should be 3/4" dead on. At least for my year of boat. I noticed your pix showed a different drain method. I take off to the BC Gulf Is tomorrow for ~ two wks so i can snap a pix but not sure when I can post it. I don't data roam in Canada. Eventually, I'll find a hot spot somewhere.

Sep 6, 2011
I just replaced the two hatches a few months ago. Both should be 3/4" dead on. At least for my year of boat. I noticed your pix showed a different drain method. I take off to the BC Gulf Is tomorrow for ~ two wks so i can snap a pix but not sure when I can post it. I don't data roam in Canada. Eventually, I'll find a hot spot somewhere.
Thanks Mark! Have a wonderful and safe trip! This is certainly not an earth shattering problem. It's secured until I figure out the best way to solve the problem. I am considering building up the inside wood trim to meet the underside of the hatch and also have additional gasket material. I would use starboard if this happens for easy maintenance. This 11.0c has a nice hatch but I suspect the owner modified it. (From yachtworld again)

image-941884295.jpg

Other input welcome.

SC

Jtoben

Jan 14, 2011
S2 11.0a Holland, MI
Hey sail cruiser. The pics Mark posted are identical to our center hatch on the 11.0a. Good luck. Over the years, I've found that the only thing that works is a replacement of the gasket material.

Sep 6, 2011
Hey sail cruiser. The pics Mark posted are identical to our center hatch on the 11.0a. Good luck. Over the years, I've found that the only thing that works is a replacement of the gasket material.
That is what we are attempting to do...finding the right material has been the problem. A PO had installed some 3/8 cord stock so trying that currently after a few false starts from west marine.
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.