Leaking Boat Stanchions

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
OK, you were lucky. When I removed the base, the threads were shot - maybe because of the heat generated when I took the nut off. You are able to reuse. Regardless, Beneteau do not make them anymore.

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
As for the rest of your questions, I'm not sure yet. There are a few more stanchions with stress cracks, so I'll pop those off and see if they have gaskets. Also, there is a shop that works with stainless and I'll see if they have some scraps that they can fashion into ovals to spread out pressure from the stanchion so I don't have to do this again. As is, it's designed to fail.

Jun 20, 2021
Is that an end grain balsa cored deck or plywood? Strange design for the stanchion base, appears that most of the sealing surface is on top of the toe rail. Don’t think that the lip does much with regards to enhancing the seal.
I think the layers are the deck and the hull meeting. There may have been a layer of gel coat or mold release, not sure. I did grind out the rest of opaque resin, and put a hole in it for good measure.

It now has a good 30 layers of fiberglass fabric in various sizes, so it's a decent patch. Not that I want, say, a 2 foot lever cleverly disguised as a stanchion bearing down on it.

Jun 20, 2021
here's the port side. I'll have to get a welder to fix the toe rail. The rain just stopped, but I'm determined to get a thin layer of fiberglass on to seal it. I did find the balsa core on this one
JPEG_20211003_155833_1451390716113668467.jpg