Leak on B332

Jun 24, 2021
Benateau 331 Hamble
I have an annoying seawater leak on my 2001 B331. it only occurs when hard pressed to windward. This results in a wet fore cabin with wet cushions along their outside edge and water pooling in the moulding beneath the v berth infill. The ingress appears to be entering the cabin via the wooden windless cover. Try as a may I can locate the source of the leak. It’s not from the windless switches or anything I can see on the foredeck. I wonder if anyone had experienced this? Or has any advise.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It is a French made boat and your sailing it in British Waters. You know it is messing with you. Getting back for Waterloo...:yikes:

For the V berth you have a couple of suspects.
  1. The deck fittings (cleats, bow sprit, windlass, hatches, etc)
  2. Then there are cracks (deck, hull/deck joint, anchor locker etc.)
The fix is to try locating the water trail following back up to the hardware or deck.

You say "Pressed to Wind", are you talking green water over the deck, or just heeled and water hitting the rail?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have an annoying seawater leak on my 2001 B331. it only occurs when hard pressed to windward. This results in a wet fore cabin with wet cushions along their outside edge and water pooling in the moulding beneath the v berth infill. The ingress appears to be entering the cabin via the wooden windless cover. Try as a may I can locate the source of the leak. It’s not from the windless switches or anything I can see on the foredeck. I wonder if anyone had experienced this? Or has any advise.
Is it salt water or fresh water? Is there a tank under the v berth?

Sorry…I see you said “seawater”.

Toe rail, cleats, anchor locker drain…any of those could be a source of water ingress.

I was working in my lazzarette while it was raining…leaks at one stanchion base and one toe rail bolt…

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg, that should be a lesson. No good, only more projects, come from working on your boat when it is raining.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
My 331 was leaking water through the bulkhead at the aft end of the anchor locker. In my case, it was mainly rain, but then I rarely get a chance to bury the bow on the Chesapeake! The main culprit was a small hole that looked harmless but water running down the bulkhead came through. The other problem was the poorly sealed washdown pump inlet.