Leak in the Owner's cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Brooks

While doing a spring cleaning on our 83 H34 we found all the bed linen in the owners berth to be soaked. The wall that seperates the lazerette where the batteries our housed and the cabin has several black and rotted areas on them. We recently purchased the boat last September and only just last week or so have any real serious rains been experianced by us with the boat. After combing the entire area to locate a leak I have come to the conclusion that possibly the scuppers got clogged and the water may have migrated under the steering consul, followed the cables and wires into the interior of the boat. I also noticed the bilge was quite full, never had this problem at the end of last year. Has anyone experianced the same. Need a little trouble shooting help on this one.

J

James M Trammell

Water Problem H34

Try filling the cockpit with water and see if the leak is (as you said around the pedastall) there........ Next look at where the steel rubrail connects with the deck, especially at the end where it might have been smacked against the dock pileings. Those are potential leak areas are as easy to eliminate as any of the other potential rascles. Jim

S

sandy

cabin leak

I don't know the layout of your vessel, but we experienced the same thing on our 40'. Except it was only on occasion. Finally tracked it down. The rain water was falling down alongside the shift lever into the binacle. The reason it didn't happen all the time was because we'd forgotten to replace the compass cover allowing the rain in. Hope this helps...

D

Debra B

Cockpit Drain Hoses?

Are the cockpit drain hoses leaking? Either the hoses themselves or around the clamps. Otherwise get a hose and have someone spray up above while you look down below. Remember, water can flow a long way along a cabin roof or cockpit floor before it starts dripping on something.

D

Derek Rowell

I have just found a similar leak....

I have found that when I do not cover the cockpit in the winter I end up with a lot of water in the aft cabin. I just found the source. The screws holding down the feet for the pdestal guard were stripped and loose. When ice/snow forms above the level of the raised section of the cockpit sole where the pedestal sits, and the scuppers are frozen, any melt simply has nowhere to go except through those screw holes. I will rebed them next weekend. I never have a problem except in the winter when the scuppers are blocked by ice. Derek

M

Michael Brooks

Found it

It was the area around the pedestal, it appears that the silicone caulking has reached its life span and when the scuppers got clogged the water reached the area of the pedestal base and flowed along the wires that passed through the cockpit sole onto the coachroof top and into the aft cabin. Thanks for the clues.

D

Dick Hall

Pedestal guard

We are in process of drying out the cockpit sole and injecting resin to restore firmness. The source of water intrusion appears to be the two sockets for the pedastal guard. These are not on the solid glass base area, but are simply through-bolted through the cored sole. There was no sign that Hunter ever used any caulking of any sort on these fittings.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Dick Hall

Dick: The pedestal guard was not part of the original equipment. This was an aftermarket item. This is something that we cannot blame on Hunter. This is like the compression post. If the commissioning was properly done there would not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.