Leak in Aft Cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Olive Bradley

Earlier this year my husband and I bought a Hunter 31 and are very happy with it. However, we have a problem with a leak in the Aft Cabin (port side) of boat. It drips down the carpet and soaks the cushions seems to be only when it rains. We have no idea where this is coming from and have tried hosing from the outside but nothing comes through. Do you think it could be coming from a leak in the porthole and traveling along the inside. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so how do we resolve it? Any help - much appreciated Olive Bradley

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
first look.

Olive: The first place I would check is the drain above the berth. I would pull up the drain and see if it has a crack, maybe just replace it anyway, and recaulk it. The next thing I would do is pull up the track for the jib and recaulk the entire thing. I remember a post recently that this was the problem. The next area would be the ports. These should be pulled, inspect the liner between the ports and see if there has been any water getting between there. If this does not get it, I would think that the toe rail is the problem. Regardless, I would start with the easiest ones first and progress to the more difficuly ones until you find your problem. Leaks can take a long time to resolve. Good luck.

T

Tim Op't Holt

aft berth leak

Same problem with mine. I caulked around each stanchion of the stern pulpit. This solved the problem for me. Steve's ideas are excellent.

B

bob rutland

me too

i have the same leak in the exact spot you do. i've been told the large fixed port is more than likely the cause. as i write, i have pulled this port, but have not replaced it yet. there is water damage to the wood between the outside and the inside liner. i should complete this project this weekend, i'll let you know if it fixes the leak.

S

Scott Johnston

Fixed Port - Port Side

Same spot as the leak on our 34. On ours the problem was the large fixed port on the port side above the nav station. Re-did all the fixed ports earlier this year and no problems since. It's amazing the path that the water travelled, from the leaky port, along the inside bottom edge of the hull liner, until it hits the low spot and drips down. Check it out by giving the port a good spray with the hose. Good luck on the fix. Scott 83-H34 Island Hops

J

Jay Hill

Summary of Sources

Wow, more 31 leaks. There are several archive conversations on the same boat/subject if you'd like to see some previous sources of the water and the solutions. Something I didn't see mentioned in this list of responses was the water fill and emergency tiller deck plates in the cockpit. Believe it or not, these can leak into the aft cabin as well. You stated that the leak travels down the carpet. Is that on the aft bulkhead or the port bulkhead, could be different source for each. Here's the summarized list of sources of water in the aft berth: (I've discovered 9 of these on my boat so far; still haven't fixed all of them I guess, I still get a bit of water now and then) 1. Cockpit port light 2. Any thru-deck screw on jib track 3. Fixed Port Light- port side 4. Port Port Light above Nav station 5. Binnacle (compass, mounting screws, etc.) 6. Spinnaker sheet/guy block thru-deck screws 7. Winch/cleat thru-deck screws 8. Rope Clutch thru-deck screws 9. Halyard winch thru-deck screws 10. Water fill deck plate 11. Water fill hose has hole 12. Emergency tiller access deck plate leaking 13. Water overflow/air vent hose has hole 14. Stanchions 15. Stern pulpit 16. Scupper and/or hose leaks 17. Stern locker lid(s) allow rain in stern locker Worst Case so far: 18. If no water is seen dripping but under sides of berth cushions are wet, numbers 11 and/or 13 above may apply, but you may also have a water tank/compartment sealing problem. On my 31, there is no water tank, instead, there is a water compartment which has a lid screwed down onto the top of the water compartment and probably 40 lbs of sealant. If you overfill the tank/compartment, and the seal has even the slightest leak, the gravity pressure from the water in the fill hose will force the water in the compartment out of the top of the "tank" and into your beloved berth cushions causing them to stain, mildew, and finally rot. This is most unpleasant and requires almost a whole weekend to repair. At least you get to see the inside of the water "tank". I hope you never experience this. Good Luck on your repair. If you find a source of water not listed above, please post it here in the forum. Thanks Jay

O

Olive Bradley

re: responses to leak in aft cabin

Thank you to all those who responded to my question. I finally tracked down the leak to the fixed port and the opening port on the port side of the boat where the water ran down inside the double skin of the boat and found its way out on the carpet wall in the aft birth. Thanks also to Jay Hill about the leak in the water tank under the cushions, we too fixed this by beefing up with about 40lbs of sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.