Leak from port light

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Our 2012 B37 has a small leak from the small port light over the desk. We do not want the wood damage caused by small amounts of water! can the rubber seal be replaced? Hatch Master seem to have the seal material for the older Lewmar ports produced before 2000. I know you guys will have the answer!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have the same problem intermittently. Cleaning the lens and gasket with a wet paper towel helps a little but doesn’t seem to be a permanent fix. Not using the screens seems to help a little too. I’ll also be interested if anyone has any other suggestions. In the meantime be sure not to clip the bottom of the curtains in. When the curtain is pulled too close to the port light it will get wet and water stained. I also sometimes leave a cup on the desk under the port light when I leave the boat if it’s acting up, to try to keep the water off the wood.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We had the lens and seals replaced on our older ports and were told to open them to exercise the seals. They seem to harden under pressure of being closed all the time. Prior to that I tried heating them with my wife’s hair dryer. I got good results using thin foam weather stripping added to the seal, but it looked wonky.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Had a Lewmar deck hatch gasket that was leaking w heavy rainfall on my 2007 B373. Ordered a new gasket which was a bit pricey. A neighbor said to try some silicone grease to the rubber. Worked like magic. So the new gasket is now in the spare parts box. Use this:https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-S...79712385&sprefix=silicone+grea,aps,177&sr=8-5
On my to do list is to go around all of the gaskets and lube them up. Just use a little bit.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
There are several leak points. On our B411, 1999, the port light frames were leaking. The exterior frame is two aluminum extrusions coupled with a " rubber" seal - this had deteriorated. The replaceable rubber seal is also a possible leak source - especially if it has dirt and algae on it. The last area is actually the o-ring on the rotating latch. Yes, the silicone grease does help on the latter two areas. Someone recently posted the O-ring size - search for O-ring in this forum. They are available from Mcmaster.com.

The replacement seals I sourced from Defender.com
The o-rings I got from Mcmaster.com

I dug out the degraded rubber between the aluminum extrusions. Covered both sides with blue tape. Forced Dow 795 into groove with a very small screwdriver and then filled the joint with 795. Scraped the excess with a backward facing razor blade. Waited 30 minutes and removed the tape.

My result was no leaks

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
There are several leak points. On our B411, 1999, the port light frames were leaking. The exterior frame is two aluminum extrusions coupled with a " rubber" seal - this had deteriorated. The replaceable rubber seal is also a possible leak source - especially if it has dirt and algae on it. The last area is actually the o-ring on the rotating latch. Yes, the silicone grease does help on the latter two areas. Someone recently posted the O-ring size - search for O-ring in this forum. They are available from Mcmaster.com.

The replacement seals I sourced from Defender.com
The o-rings I got from Mcmaster.com

I dug out the degraded rubber between the aluminum extrusions. Covered both sides with blue tape. Forced Dow 795 into groove with a very small screwdriver and then filled the joint with 795. Scraped the excess with a backward facing razor blade. Waited 30 minutes and removed the tape.

My result was no leaks
Did the same dug out the rubber and filled with 795 ,no leaks for 3 years now

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I have been able to soften old gaskets using "impellor lube" which is some kind of silcon as Helmfan suggested. However I think you have Lewmar ports and new gaskets are available in the store here.
Lewmar Ports and Parts

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Thanks everyone, all good suggestions! I cleaned , left the port open and applied plumbers grease and have NO leak! We will see how long it will last. Good to know the store on this site has the gaskets in stock for both the old and new ports.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Isit from the frame or the operable portion? Is it a Lewmar Ocean hatch?

Slider

Sep 1, 2014
Beneteau 37DK Alameda
Our ports are Lewmar New Standard. The leak was from the opening port seal.