Lead or cast iron keels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steffen Meland

My question is regarding the material used for the keels in 34/35 foot O'Day's. Some factory literature suggests the keels are made of lead while others, including "Practical Sailor" evaluation, state some are made of cast iron. If they are made of cast iron, what material are the keel bolts made of? Thanks for any information on this subject. Steffen,...prospective O'Day 34 owner.

J

J.B. Dyer

Cast Iron

I have a 1983 34 that has a cast iron shoal keel with stainless steel bolts which is original to the boat. I know very little about the deep keels or what they were made of. The cast iron shoal keel is not the prettiest thing in the world and by the shape of it, speed wasn't a consideration, however, its very sturdy. I'm satisfied with it. If you are a racer, you might want to consider the deep keel, I'm sure it would be a little faster than the shoal. If I can be of any assistance to you for specific information, I'm listed in the owners directory, contact me.

H

Harlan

cast iron / stainless

I have an '83 OD34, deep draft - 5' 7". Keel is cast iron with stainless bolts. Boat performs very well. I bought the boat used in '90, stripped the keel, faired it with WEST epoxy, then Interlux 2000 barrier and bottom paint. Needs some small touch up every spring but that's about it. I have no regrets with this keel. If the boat you're looking at has not been maintained, rust leaking out of the keel joint, etc I'd be very worried. Get a good surveyor. If performance is your concern, lead would allow slightly narrower (faster) profile but speed difference would likely be a only few seconds per mile - not an issue if you cruise and is corrected for with your rating if you race. I think you'll find well faired bottom and smooth paint is a much bigger performance factor than lead vs. cast iron.

R

Rod Johnson,

Was cast iron, later lead

I have an article somewhere about the O'DAY 34 that states that for the first year or so of production, the 34 had a cast iron keel, despite Sales Brochure claims of lead. After that, the switch was made to the originally designed lead keel, production also shifted to the Fall River, MA plant from the California plant. I'll have to find that article, it was in an issue of the "Captain's Log", the publication of the CAL/O'DAY Owners Association (form around 1992) and was written by someone in the know. In the mean time, a call the Rudy at D&R Marine (508) 644-3001 may clear this up. Rudy was the Parts Dept. Manager for O'Day and still has a wealth of information and parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.