Lazy Jacks for an O'Day 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Capt. Pete

I'm considering installing a Lazy Jack system for the mainsail. Has anyone done this before and willing to share the Lazy Jack measurements, specifically the placement of the blocks attached to the mast? Phone 850-774-6070, fax 850-233-9191 Many Thanks, Pete

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

There's no science

Pete - Can't give you measurments but I can tell you that there's no science to it. I've done lazy jacks on my 25 and on a friend's 46 and in both cases I used a point about two thirds of the way up the rig. Don't buy a pre-built lazy jack kit - for a boat your size (our mine for that matter) there's an easier and much less expensive solution. When I rigged my boat I put two small cheek blocks as the top attachment points. Light lines from from cleats at the mast at gooseneck level up through those blocks and then down toward the boom to make the top section. There is a small block at the end of those lines. The lower legs are all one line. I put an eye strap on the bottom of the boom two thirds of the way aft from the gooseneck. A line runs through the eyestrap, up through one of the blocks described above, down under the boom (w/o any hardware), back through the over block, and is spliced to it self where it meets the eyestrap. Total cost - $30. Total time to install - 20 minutes. Works great. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

C

Capt. Pete

Thanks Justin.....

When you rigged the Lazy Jacks as you described, at what position horizontally and vertically, in relation to the mast and boom, were the blocks attached to the lines running through the cheek blocks, ie, half way up the mast and back two thirds?

Status
Not open for further replies.