Lazy Jack vs Dutchman Flaking System

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wally

I have a 1989 30' tall rig Catalina. I would like to add a main sail Lazy Jack system or a Dutchman Flaking system. Can anyone recommend one over the other? Wally

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
Stack Pack

I have had both lasy jacks and dutchman. Dutchman is a pain in the neck! Sure it flakes the sail but it does it crappy. You will hate fussing with the dutchman every time your remove or rig the sail. I like the stack pack. You'll never have to remove and recover your sail again.

H

Hank LeSieur

Lazy Jack vs. Dutchman

You'll get varied opinions regarding the value of either system. I've had both and found the Lazy Jack system worked fine. The Dutchman requires adjustment before and after setting the main which means you have to leave the cockpit and go on deck. Also, the Dutchman requires sail modifications to accomodate the monofiliment lines. Presently, I don't have either system on my C-320, however, my plans are to install a system similar to Lazy Jacks called EZ Jacks. According to what I've read, it's better than Lazy Jacks. Good Luck! Hank LeSieur Camelot

Dec 2, 2003
Catalina C-320 Washington, NC
I like my Dutchman

Wally, I have suspect that most people who don't like the Dutchman can't program their VCR either. Just a little joke folks...don't take it personal. Actually, I do think that many either don't read or don't understand the instructions. I have not readjusted my Dutchman since the last time I took the main off and put it back on. Admittedly, I recognized immediately that not putting zippers in the mainsail cover defeated the advantages of the system, so I had that done when I bought the boat (2003). By having zippers I can adjust the lines so that it works well every time and leave it set that way. When it is adjusted properly, all I have to do, is pull the topping lift tight and release the halyard. The sail flakes itself as it falls. There are a couple sections on my main that are not controlled by the lines and they will slide over a bit. It is simple to tidy them up when I put my sail ties on. I have had jack lines in the past on other boats and they are great, but I like my Dutchman better by an order of magnitude. One or the other is a must for me (and I sorta categorize the stack pack as jacks with a built in cover, another good innovation.) BTW, the jacks on my old Cal 27-T/2 were made with about $25 worth of hardware and line and they worked very well. Jacks aren't rocket science and the kits, while convenient, aren't the only option.

Jul 1, 2004
Catalina 30 Atlanta GA
JUst Took Off StackPak

Opinions certainly do vary on all mainsail gathering and stowage systems. On my 1988 Mark II model it came with a custom made Stackpak type unit where lazyjacks coupled with a zippered sunbrella sail stowage bag held up by two stainless longitudinal poles seemed like the thing to have, but it was a pain to operate. Let me explain: When raising the main with a lazy jack system you have to make sure the jack lines are loose or the main battens will get stuck while raising. Having crew available to go up to the jack lines and ensure the battens are free of the lines as the sail deploys from the bag despite heading directly into the wind is necessary. The same applies to lowering. The stack Pak sailbag requires the crew flake and stow the main as it lowers and its as tedious as stuffing a dryer full of laundry tightly into a pillow case!! So after a year of this absolute hassle, we said enough already and went back to the tradional and familiar lowering and banding of the main on a clean boom! I can see the benefit of lazy jacks for a solo sailer as the quick lowering of the main despite some sloppy gathering (mains do not neatly flake themselves as disired)can be somewhat controlled. But with a stack Pak you will need a crew onboard if you have a zippered storage system. Others might have had better experiences with Dutch systems and Stack Paks, but with a new mainsail cover and a whole bunch of sail ties over bungee's we are in our comfort zone now for mainsail storage control. Good Luck Bob '88 Mark II

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Dutchman...

...works fine once it is properly adjusted and the sail is 'trained.'

Status
Not open for further replies.