Lazy Jack Geometry

danm1

Oct 5, 2013
Hunter 356 Mamaroneck, NY
Looking to add home made lazy jacks and having read most of the threads, I had this brilliant thought to tie the upper ends to the spreaders on either side of the mast...as I thought others had done. But, upon sober reflection, I wondered about what happens when the boom swings out. Even if the lines were fastened close to either side of the mast, I can see the lines twisting or pulling the boom on a reach or run if they are too tight. On the other hand, if they are left with enough slack, it would seem they would sag and not work well. Obviously one solution is to pull the jacks to the mast while sailing, or run the the ends aloft down through a pulley and slack them. But it seems like there are a number of people who just manage to leave them up all the time. How?

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Stainless clamps, pop-riveted to the boom. The middle and back ones are only to hold the line, the front one is the only one that sees line movement and that is why is is set at a 45 degree angle. Starting 4th year and no wear on line going through the front clamp on either side of the boom.

mm2347

Oct 21, 2008
oday 222 niagara
On my small boats' lazy jacks(Oday222) I used small blocks on the moveable lines. It worked well but seemed too bulky so I changed to small stainless rings. These also worked well but still seemed too heavy and bulky, expressly in light air on choppy water. I next went with just an eye stiched in the line at each joint and it has worked well for the last two years. I have seen very little wear in the lines and find they can easily be adjusted. (My line is 3/16) I have adjusted my anchor points on the boom as well as the height at the mast a couple of times and this year went to a 3rd line at the boom. Yes lazy jacks need some "messing with" but on a small boats small cabin top, a main sail going wild in the wind, waves pushing the boat off course far more inconvenient.