Lazerette hatch for 1986 C34

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lee

My port lazerette hatch is cracked. Catalina does not have the mold or a replacement. They changed the mold several times. My hull number is 107. Any Ideas? Lee

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Make a mold

You're lucky! You still have the hatch. I'm in need of one for a C22 that's completely missing! Take it to a boatyard or fiberglass shop & get a quote on how much to make a mold & lay up another one. It may not be exact, but better than nothing. You could also get a quote from them on how much to repair your existing one. They'll probably strengthen it with more glass on the inside, grind out the crack & repaint it. Probably significantly cheaper than making a new one. Good luck! LaDonna

J

Jay Beery

Cracked Hatch

Lee, I am restoring a '77 C22 and have ran into all kinds of 'glass repairs and fabrications. I am in the process of making a mold to make the cockpit "glove-boxes" on either side out of 'glass. They were wood. Anyway first find out why your lid cracked and fix that first. Glass in a stiffener or fix hinge or whatever. If the crack is only gel coat fill with marine filler and re-gelcoat to match. It may not be perfect, but it will work. If the crack is all the way through or is many large cracks, suggest you go the mold and remanufactur route. It will take longer and cost more, but will look better. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.