Lazarette padlocks

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
Anyone found a decent padlock that wont rust out after 6 months in the salt air? An ongoing problem for me, as few padlock that seem strong enough will fit the relatively small opening on my Beneteau 373 latches. This one pictured is a Brinks 161-40051-6, supposedly for outdoor use, but the shackle rusts quickly. Also note that the shackle is too thick to hang loosely in the latch.
IMG_1255.jpeg

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I use these small totally bronze padlocks. Forget the brand name but they are sold many places. The key (no pun intended) is all bronze. I have them on all my lazarette hatches and they are all fine after 11 years. I give them a squirt of wd-40 once a year or so.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
ABUS (or Asus) hard to read the key. 32 years old. A little 3:1 oil every decade or so. :)

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
I don't use a lock. Where I sail theft from lockers is not an issue (or I have not heard of any such issue). Next, if someone wanted to get into your locker a bolt cutter would open that padlock quickly.

Is such theft a problem in your area? Just curious.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I ordered up a six pack of abus all keyed the same. Got one key per lock so we could spread them around. A little bit of lube and they are more than ten years in service

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Y
Yes. It is said in the industry that "..they have a lock on it...." :)

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: locks on the boat.....We usually locked our boat's hatchway when we were away from the marina. The sail lockers in the cockpit, however, were seldom locked. The sails were not in there just some folding chairs and the emergency tiller plus some dock lines. I guess we believed the saying "locks only keep honest people out of your boat". The damage caused by a person breaking the hasps or pulling the screws/through bolts out would be difficult to repair. Present boat: open day sailer.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
That's my method too. If someone wants in, they will get in. And do more damage in the process than anything they could steal. I lock the companionway, but not the lockers.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Different philosophies, I guess. There's the old saw about locks only keeping the honest people out, right? :)

But I have a friend in Chicago who has a boat neighbor who has sticky fingers. Early in the season, my friend is on docks until they install his mooring. He doesn't like this guy having access to his boat, to say nothing of his other friends. Stuff simply disappears and he KNOWS who is doing it, because he's seen some "missing stuff" magically appear on this dude's boat!!! Once they get on their mooring balls, theft drops.

And sure, anyone who wants to get in will do so, and break stuff. But I've owned boats since 1983 and the only theft I've had was an attempt to steal the outboard off my Catalina 22 on its trailer in the boat yard. There was evidence of heavy tampering...with the lock. The outboard was still there. A bit less than half of my boat ownerships have been in a NON secure open dock.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Spray your lock with a good dose of Corrosion Block. I have had a cheap master lock on the boat for over a year. Key slips in and out. No issues. Lock still rust free.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello helmfam,
Could a cable style lock be used through that small opening in the pin? The style of closure seems designed to prevent tampering, but unless the pin and its opening were larger the lock will need to be rather small. Maybe that is an idea to pursue......use a larger pin and circle. If you don't want to alter the closure and if you are satisfied with the lock style you are using, perhaps the rust retardant ideas mentioned are a good choice.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
+1 on Abus, no issues in salt environ, we lock companionway only, lazarettes secured with carabiners in case of knock down...no theft issues here...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you must lock your bins, then ideally your want them all keyed or combinationed the same. Or you could color code them if it would last.
Nothing we stow is worth the cost of repairing the damage to the hatch that a thief could inflict.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I have a pair of the bronze padlocks (keyed) for the outside lockers. The Bavaria uses the same push-button latch with the small hole near the tip. But, as mentioned above, a thief wishing to get into the lockers would not be deterred long. Even a small bolt cutter would defeat them easily. Locking would guard against a child climbing in there and getting locked in, however.

Significant theft from boats has been very rare on the docks were I’ve moored. Most known are thefts of outboards mounted on stern rails. Basically, items that can sold for enough money to justify the risk of getting caught and arrested. I question what a thief would want with what is usually in the locker— ground tackle, used cordage, life jackets, etc. I think the ever-present live-a-boards are the best deterrent. I suspect a thief would have to break into quite a few lazarettes to find items worth the effort. If something “valuable” of mine went missing from off the boat, I’d have to suspect it was due to somebody who knew its presence & location, etc.; rather than a “random” hit. Could still be wrong, however.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2014
Catalina 27 Pasadena, Md
On my Catalina 27 I usually keep extra lines and such in the starboard lazerete, I have a padlock on it, but it is seldom locked. My friends know that if there is a boat in trouble from a storm with broken lines, they know where a spare line is to help out a neighbor.
I live 4.0 miles from the Marina so am usually one of the ones checking on boats during storms or weekends. I also offer to get slip # and first name with phone # and will call if I see anything amiss. I feel that having a friendly relationship with fellow boaters is the best way to prevent trouble from starting, and it helps owners feel more comfortable when they live long distances away.
Bob