Lazarette bumpers or stoppers

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
The little black bumpers or stoppers under my Lazarattes have dried up and should be replaced. I am sure I can purchase something expensive but looking to hear what others have used. What are some alternatives for attaching them securely
On a previous boat I tried using some plumbing washers and it wasn’t the best but worked.

Thanks

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Wow, that is weird. I just a few moment ago found the list of bumper sizes and the number of each side that I need on my Hunter. I made the list about 2 years ago. They come in 3 sizes (heights). I need a few of each to replace some that are worn and dried out. SBO used to sell them but now I don't find them on the site. I'll need to email and ask.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
They come in 3 sizes (heights). I need a few of each to replace some that are worn and dried out. SBO used to sell them but now I don't find them on the site. I'll need to email and ask.
Same here!!! I just did a search for them.
If you find out what they call them, let me know too.
Jim...

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
SBO used to have them but I haven't checked lately. But I too have found them at Ace in their (IMHO) high-priced hardware bins.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA

Soft round silicon bumpers.
Or drawer stops. $15 per hundred on Amazon.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Home Depot/Lowes/Ace has them in a couple of sizes. Take an old one with ya to match it.. I changed mine from black to white ..

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I changed mine from black to white also, and found them at Home Depot. They are pretty inexpensive IIRC.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
They sell them here at SBO. I purchased some two years ago.

Jan 19, 2010
:thumbup: Thanks for the link! I searched all over SBO for them again and never found them.
You can type in "Hunterowners.com" and then select your model number (H26 for me), then the list of things to search is shorter and boat specific. It makes finding things easier.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Because the hatches are hand laid, SBO suggests stacking 1/4" bumpers to get the right height. I think I will try some clay or putty over my existing bumpers to see if they need additional height. I prefer the hatches hit the bumpers and not the locker openings.

Jan 19, 2010
Because the hatches are hand laid, SBO suggests stacking 1/4" bumpers to get the right height. I think I will try some clay or putty over my existing bumpers to see if they need additional height. I prefer the hatches hit the bumpers and not the locker openings.
I have tried different things over the years. I tried these felt pad strips

and they were great!!! for about two weeks and fell off. I then tried a bead of rubberized goop along the leading edge. That helped but I could not get the height I needed to keep the lip of the locker cover from hitting the bunk. So I went back to the original design. It works.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I was amazed at the places those bumpers are located on my boat.
I found 6 under the cover of my steering quadrant.
So far they are all the same small size.
I had ordered them from SBO before and one seemed too short to stop the annoying vibration noise.
I simply put 2 stainless washers under the culprit bumper.;)
I had to press a little harder with 2 washers to get closure of the lazarette.
Jim...

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
We could get crazy and install gas struts! :dancing:
Except they don't last very long. I put new struts in to keep the hood of my car open, and two years later, they do not have enough "oomph". At 40 bucks each, you'd think they would last longer.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Except they don't last very long. I put new struts in to keep the hood of my car open, and two years later, they do not have enough "oomph". At 40 buck each, you'd think they would last longer.
How would they make money if they lasted?!