Law Enforcement Sailing Association

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
North American Yacht Spirit 23 Lake Geneva, WI
With five years to go before retirement I have begun making plans for leaving Chicago and sailing back to San Francisco. In the meantime, I have considered trying to organize a group of current or retired law enforcement personnel who are interested making passages or doing local day sails. My kids are grown and it would be awesome to have a few more hands on deck or sail with a few other boats for first-time or longer passages. Any Comments......

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
What boat will you be sailing on, whence will you depart, and what do you expect to be your route?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
Lo,

That's a great idea.
Unless you're a police officer, you can't know how tough it REALLY is.
The guys deserve an enjoyable break like this.

Way to go pal..........give something back.

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
What boat will you be sailing on, whence will you depart, and what do you expect to be your route?
I don't have that boat bought yet. I suspect I will begin looking for my new boat in about 3 years. Not sure of the route either. Therea are a ton of choices as I want to explore the Caribbean before going through the canal.

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
Lo,

That's a great idea.
Unless you're a police officer, you can't know how tough it REALLY is.
The guys deserve an enjoyable break like this.

Way to go pal..........give something back.
Thanks, I suspect this will take a long time to get the word out......

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Lodi,
I am five years out as well with plans to sell the house (in 2 years) and the boat (in 2 years, to make financial room for the retirement cruiser) and head south to spend a few years in the Caribbean. If you are interested in starting a group, I'd be happy to help out on the East Coast. Something similar to the IPA for sailors would be great, too. Host guys on vacation for day sails and the like. Let me know!

I hear a rumor that NJ will be offering a buyout for anyone who has 20+ years in the near future....if that happens I'll have plenty of free time!!

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Lodi, & Jack,
I have been retired for 17 years from my Law Enforcement career of 27 years..
I will tell you retirement is better than anyone will tell you.
Let me know how your organizing goes, its all good!
The 310 is OUR retirement boat...... as of NOW :)

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I am counting down the days towards retirement but I still have a ways to go (right at 10 years left). In VA you have to wait until you are 50 to retire even if you have the time of service, which I will. I will have almost 29 years at age 50.

It would be cool to have a group of LEOs that are into sailing. The area I sailed out of was not that big so it would have been hard to do so. Heck, it was hard to organize a group of sailors of any kind to meet up and raft up. Good luck on setting something up.

At this point I am between sailboats and it may be a few years before I delve back into my next sailboat.

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
Lodi,
I am five years out as well with plans to sell the house (in 2 years) and the boat (in 2 years, to make financial room for the retirement cruiser) and head south to spend a few years in the Caribbean. If you are interested in starting a group, I'd be happy to help out on the East Coast. Something similar to the IPA for sailors would be great, too. Host guys on vacation for day sails and the like. Let me know!

I hear a rumor that NJ will be offering a buyout for anyone who has 20+ years in the near future....if that happens I'll have plenty of free time!!
Jack,
Soundsd like a great idea. I would love to get something started with your help and help from guys on the west coast too.
Rick

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
I am counting down the days towards retirement but I still have a ways to go (right at 10 years left). In VA you have to wait until you are 50 to retire even if you have the time of service, which I will. I will have almost 29 years at age 50.

It would be cool to have a group of LEOs that are into sailing. The area I sailed out of was not that big so it would have been hard to do so. Heck, it was hard to organize a group of sailors of any kind to meet up and raft up. Good luck on setting something up.

At this point I am between sailboats and it may be a few years before I delve back into my next sailboat.
Stay in touch so if interested you can get on a boat sail until you buy a new one.
Rick

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
I am trying to find interested people so I posted a facebook page....Law Enforcement Sailing Association. I hope to get some interest there too.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have some good friends with boats and I have open invites to sail.

It was just hard to get away for the time I like to with what is going on in my life. My wife and I are trying to have a kid and I know that once we do have one the first few years will keep me from the boat. I had downsized from a Catalina 30 to a Compac 23 but going down to a 23 was too much of a downsize. The 23 was a great boat and it was easier and cheaper to keep, but it closed in on my quickly. I had some great cruises in her but I never loved her as much as I loved my Catalina 30.

Add those things to the amount of upkeep and attention that I liked giving her and it was just hard. I didn't want a boat to sit.

Right now I have a powerboat for the time being because that is about the amount of time I can devote to things, a few hours at a time. I had been cruising the Chesapeake Bay for about 13 years and it was time for a break. In a few years it will be time to get back into a good size boat again.

Lodi47

Jul 12, 2015
I have been looking for soemthing larger to take to the Caribbean. I have a 23 now and it is very small. I need to rig the new boat so it is easy for my wife and I to handle. Lots of boats on yachtworld to choose from.